Buying an iPhone 6 in the U.S. for use in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Parzival, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Parzival macrumors newbie

Parzival

A buddy of mine is in the States and willing to buy me an unlocked iPhone 6, this will save me about 200 euros.

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to carrier networks, will I be able to use an "American" iPhone without hassle in Europe (Holland)?

Are there other things I should take into account, like what to do when it comes to dealing with customs, the loss of warranty, etc?

Thanks!

2. ICEman-c81 macrumors newbie

You will only lose your warranty (it is tied to the region, and yours will be for North America and not EU). Your friend will be bringing the iPhone in the carry-on, right? Unless he actively wants to pay customs fees, no one will ask him to. It's not like he'll be bringing 20 iPhones all shrink-wrapped. He brings the phone for himself, he already paid all the taxes on it in the US.

As for LTE, check the american SKU here for LTE bands of your carrier: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ But you should be ok, all bands of EU iPhone (A1457 last time around) are there in all SKUs. Since iOS 8 there is no mandatory certification of LTE networks, so it will work right out of the box. I would personally get a Verizon no-contract iPhone, since it is will work on (arguably) the best US network should you ever come to the States for a visit