buying an iphone abroad and using in india

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mshingore, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mshingore, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

mshingore macrumors newbie

mshingore

i wanna get an iphone 4 from the uk and my friend is ready to get one for me.
    the issue is non contracted iphones are really expensive there. so i am looking at a contracted option. but again the etf is quite huge so am looking for a way to bypass all this.
    so i was thinking i might get a contracted phone at 49 pounds with a 60 pound per month contract and not pay after the initial mandatory 1st month leading my contract to be terminated on the grounds of defaulting payment.

is this a good idea? i will of course jailbreak it once i get my hands on the phone.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You (or actually your friend) are signing a legally binding contract. If you don't pay your contract then the provider will chase whoever signed the contract (providing ID at the time so it'll be your friend) for full payment. They will go to court if required. You cannot expect to do this and get away with it.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The phone company will sue you for the amount outstanding on the contract. If you get a friend to sign a contract then they will be liable for paying it off.

What you are discussing is fraud and is definitely not a good idea.

4. mshingore, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010

mshingore thread starter macrumors newbie

mshingore

so what's my alternative to buy an iphone 4 cheap? either 3gs or 4?

cz i hv seen ppl gettin iphones frm abroad n jailbreaking them here.. so what is the method that they follow?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can't get one 'cheap'.

If you buy on contract the handset is subsidised by the network and you pay it off over the duration of the contract. Buy it without contract and you will have to pay the full handset price straight off.

Your other option is to buy a second hand iPhone.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What makes you believe they "got them cheap". If you want one you either pay the full, unsubsidised, price or you sign up for a contract and honour the terms of that. Those are your options.

7. mshingore thread starter macrumors newbie

mshingore

well dats d deal here in india generally.. iphones bought abroad turn out 2 b cheaper dan dose bought in india.. bt on comparison i found out that the official 3gs costs 25000 INR which is about the same price as an iphone maybe bought from the us with the contract terminated and etf paid.. so made me wonder!

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The cheapest place for a contract free iPhone 4 is Hong Kong.

[​IMG]