Buying an Iphone.. Advice needed..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimishjoban, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jimishjoban macrumors member

Hello friends,

I plan to buy an Iphone over next week from tax returns I recieved :) I know this question might have been asked many times but I want to verify few things..

I was planning to buy a cheap phone from letstalk.com (They are giving a Blackberry Pearl for free with new ATT contract (no dataplan - just 39.99$) Is it possible to buy iphone next week.. add data plan and then just keep the blackberry as backup or maybe even sell it?

Are there any issues involved? Can I be charged anything?? because i am changing the service plan. Or since I am just upgrading the data plan.. I am safe?

I have heard different answers when I searched. People who have done this before.. please guide..

Thanks

Jimish

2. jimishjoban thread starter macrumors member

3. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Hmmmmmmm, so you want a free BB and to pay for an iphone? I would say forget the BB altogether (too much headache considering they both have vastly different data plans) and just take the leap to buy the iphone. The iphone is really solid and I don't see you having a big enough issue to switch to a backup BB. Maybe a bit more info is necessary to fully answer your question

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Reverse all that lol, I just read it more carefully and I don't see a problem with that. I just don't know if you can pop out the SIM card and use it in the BB if all hell breaks lose with the iphone. I would sell the BB and take the free money :)

5. jimishjoban thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot for ur reply.. now that convinces me to some extent.. I think I will go ahead and place the order for BB. Once I have the iphone i intend to give my BB to my sister back in india..

6. iPegboy macrumors regular

Just be careful because with a lot of those sites, you need a certain data plan to get the free phone, etc. -- and if you alter the data plan, you have to pay the phone in full.

on the other hand, you could go get a free phone from AT&T and then come home and activate your iPhone as an existing customer (adding the $20 a month data package to any voice plan).

7. jimishjoban thread starter macrumors member

thanks ipegboy,

ya i saw most good BB had data-plan thing.. but luckily blackberry pearl was for free with no data-pan required.. So I just got voiceplan (39.99$). I will soon order an iphone and then add a data plan... hopefully it will work..

I even confirmed with one of the letstalk representative and told what if i buy an iphone a month later and add a data plan? Will there be any problems? And he said that I cannot downgrade my plan or discontinue for 180 days or else letstalk will charge 250$. But seems adding a data plan is good.. Its just upgrading the service.. so to say...

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383