Buying an iPhone as a gift

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benboy12, Nov 25, 2016.

1. benboy12 macrumors regular

Other than paying for a new iPhone in full, is there anyway to purchase a new iPhone but not activate it right away? I am looking at taking advantage of one of the iPhone 7 deals this weekend as a Christmas present for my dad. I don't mind starting the device payment plan now, but I would like to keep his old iPhone active until Christmas so that I could wrap the new one up and put it under the tree. Is this possible, or do they force you to activate the new phone right away?

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i'm not sure, i think i think it gets activated right away. is it safe to assume you have him as a line on your account and you want to upgrade his line? you should call and ask your carrier.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you buy a SIM free model, you shouldn't have to activate the phone right away. That way, you can wrap it and put the phone under the tree. But if you're planning on making payments via your carrier, I would also suggest calling them. I'm sure they could probably do it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, purchase it full price.
    If you must use the payment plan then activate it under your phone number and then take the sim out and put it in your phone.
    Then when its time to gift it your father can just enter his sim card inside and use it.