Buying an iPhone at AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Patchfoo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Patchfoo macrumors member

I am thinking of buying an iPhone next weekend when I go to Michigan. I know you can buy one from the Apple store without them hassling you into a contract on the spot, but what about AT&T? I personally don't see how they would just not try to get you to sign into a contract when you buy one.

If you buy one at AT&T do they make you get a contract on the spot, or do they even bother you about it?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm buying my iPhone at the Apple Store...

in Emeryville, CA, v. buying it at the ATT Corporate Store right down the street. So, I'll post the results at about 11:00am Pacific Time Zone. I considered going right to the ATT Store, but I really want to purchase it from the iPhone experts, since I'm certain I'll get the "SKINNY" from Apple folks without the "sales pitch" that I've always received from ATT! I plan on upgrading for $20 per month for the Data Package anyway!:cool:

3. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I bought mine at the ATT store, because it was closer than the Apple Store. Walked in, bought it, put it in a bag, and walked out. No problems.

I believe that it is ATT Store policy to NOT allow you to activate in store, even if you want. I know that was true on launch day, that may have changed now. But in any case, no problems doing this (I did it a month ago).

The only hassle I had was they wanted an e-mail address to complete the transaction. I told them I did not have one, and it stopped them in their tracks- he had to call his manager to complete the sale w/o an e-mail. (Obviously, I have one, but I do not give it out willy-nilly).

FWIW, I am on T-Mo.

4. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I purchased my iPhone at an AT&T store at the beginning of October. No problems with contracts. All they asked was what state the phone was going to be used in so I was like... idk, it's a gift for a friend who's moving soon. I'm not sure what the significance of that was but just be safe I told them it was a gift so they don't waste my time.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good On Ya'...

those ATT guys always come up with questions that are ambiguous and can be answered with "it's a gift for a friend" and then "run" out the door. LMAO:cool:

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You can only activate the phone via iTunes, when i bought my 8GB from the local ATT store they couldn't activate it there even if they wanted to. This is for a new customer though, maybe its different for existing ones?

Basically the store said Apple just used ATT's network and that activation, support, service, and any non-network related issues would go through Apple. Also my corporate discount did not apply on the hardware or the plan since Apple and ATT have an agreement or something to that nature.

Also there was no credit check stuff at the store that I've seen in a few threads. I just handed them $427 and they gave me my iPhone.

7. Geffen macrumors 6502

When you purchased iPhones at AT&T stores you don't activate them in the store you activate them through iTunes at home, so basically you aren't given any sales pitches since you will set up your own rate plans with AT&T through iTunes.

8. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I was with my friend about a month ago when he bought his iPhone at our local AT&T store and there was nothing mentioned about a new contract while we were there. All the employee said was to go home and activate it on iTunes. I think the whole contract being brought up in stores was something they did at launch only because they were worried about having enough phones in stock. Now that the initial rush is over, they don't seem to care.

9. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

Unless you're planning on unlocking the phone and never properly activating it (are you?), you're going to start a new 2 year contract no matter who you buy it from once it's activated in itunes...

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't think they will sell it to you if you give them a state where ATT doesn't have coverage. Vermont comes to mind. If you use any ATT roaming for 2 months or more continuously without visiting an ATT network, they will brick the phone because you are costing ATT too much money.

11. Patchfoo thread starter macrumors member

That is my plan, yes.

I live in Canada so I can't otherwise use it.

PS, yes it is legal to do so so I feel no guilty conscience (except I wouldn't want to lie about where I'd be using it).

12. beeeen macrumors member

I feel this is an appropriate thread for my question...

ok, so I am a current at&t customer and have been for years. I am part of a family plan with my dad and sister. We have the unlimited texting package, also and none of us have iPhones. I am planning on buying one within the next 3-4 weeks. I want to purchase the 20 dollar data plan and add on the unlimited texting I already have. Is this going to be a problem because I am on a family plan? I don't see why it would be, but I want to make sure before I go and buy it. The AT&T live chat forums are closed, so this is the next best place.