Buying an iPhone - Current AT&T Customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MercilessGunner, Dec 26, 2008.

1. MercilessGunner macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking to by an iPhone at the subsidized price of $200. It is my understanding that I will not be able to buy the iPhone at the discounted price until January 16th since I'm already an existing AT&T customer. I would rather wait until the new version of the iPhone is released next year, but what if it's released after my contact ends in May? I thought about not renewing my contract until the new iPhone comes out, but then I wouldn't be able to keep my current number. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to get a new iPhone at the discounted price when they are released in 2009?

Thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You don't have to renew the contract at all. Let the contract expire and AT&T will keep charging you the same price for the same plan that you are on until you decide to resign a contract. Just be prepared to get an email or letter saying that you are eligible for upgrade. They are just trying to lock you into another 2 years. I went without a contract with AT&T for around 4 years before the first iPhone came out. So just hold put and be prepared to throw some junk mail away and when the shinny new iPhone is released go get it. Hope this helps.

3. MercilessGunner thread starter macrumors newbie