Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
on the agreement I signed in CPW says that i must activate an o2 account within 14 days i think it was..

Enter into an 18-month minimum term Pay Monthly O2 airtime contract on one of their exclusive iPhone tariffs from £35 per month.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Yes I have. I suppose in theory they only get you to sign that so that if they catch you having not signed up to O2 they can press charges against you. Im not sure how actively they're looking for unlocked. However the sales agreement doesnt have a printed serial number for your iPhone, so i doubt they can track it.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It would be interesting to hear some views on this. I'm thinking i'll probably have to give in to O2.

Why didn't you buy from an Apple store? They didn't make me sign anything. :D Just took my money and gave me my iPhone.

While queing at the Apple store on Friday night there were some CPW people scavenging for customers… not many takers.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i bought from cpw because i had vouchers to spend there. But unforunately, cpw woudlnt accept my vouchers for any apple products. Rubbish!

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Bad luck. :( Can't you return it before activation? No 14 day grace period?Worth a try maybe.

Oh i could return. I could have said no there and then, but i do want an iPhone, its just unfortunate my vouchers didnt apply. Ill have to save them for something/someone else. They dont expire so they'll come in handy sometime.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
on the agreement I signed in CPW says that i must activate an o2 account within 14 days i think it was..

Are you sure it says that? Doesn't make sense. Logically they would either sign you up for an O2 account there and then or don't let you buy the phone, if they care that much about it. What are they going to do if you don't? You don't owe them any money, and it would cost them more to sue you than they could possibly get in return.

Remember you also have the cooling off period.. so whatever they got you to sign you can back out of within 7/14 (forget which) days.

I would never shop at CPW after I bought a phone from them years ago and they signed me up for talktalk without telling me, insurance against my wishes, etc. took ages to sort that mess out.

ne0star

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
I had to sign that contract, but I was signing up with O2 anyway.

It has nothing relating to your phone on it, but it does have all your contact details so I suppose they will know if you have registered the phone or not.

I basically went to the CPW because it was just down the road.

jimmy3030

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Illegality....

You normally describe something as "illegal" when it is against the criminal law. Unlocking a phone or breaching a contract is absolutely NOT illegal. So dont worry about going to prison.

Not signing up to O2 *might* be a breach of contract, but:
- for CPWH to enforce, they woudl have to show loss, and I woudl expect this to be difficult as the benefit of the O2 contract would be for O2
- O2 *might* be able to enforce the contract, but that woudl rely on the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act which might be expressly excluded from your sales agreement, and even if it isnt, doesnt necessarily give O2 to right to enforce
- all consumer contracts are subject to overriding principles of fairness anyway.

Easiest route does seem to be to avoid CPWH....

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I wouldn't touch CPW retail with a bargepole. Signing contracts? Aggressive upselling of insurance etc.? Why go through that hassle when you can just order one online from Apple, or buy from a physical Apple or O2 shop?

doug.hall

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
London
CPW get revenue from your monthly subscription. So if you don't go with O2 they dont get any money. I guess they are just trying to ensure they get theire share. I'd take it back and buy it from an apple store.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Although it is illegal to unlock phones in the UK isn't it?

No. In fact the opposite - you have a right to the unlock code once the subsidy is paid off... walk down any high street and you'll find shops offering unlock services so you can unlock even a new phone (several of my phones have been unlocked PayT phones and I'm far from the only one that does that).

It's illegal to change the IMEI - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Surely! they cant keep a track of you, Because if I buy the iPhone from CPW and then i have to sign an agreement with them saying im going to sign into an o2 contract within the 14days "like it stats" what if im buying the iPhone for my wife for xmas, xmas is longer than 14 days away and it would not be me who's going to sign up to the o2 contract, so how would they know? and what would they do to me then hey! take me to court? :(

Just my thoughts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.