Buying an iPhone in Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Genghis Khan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Hey Guys,

I've given into my childish behaviors and decided I'm sick of waiting.

I want to import an iPhone to Australia

A few questions though...

1) When the iPhone IS eventually released in Oz, will I be able to restore the iPhone and use it on the approved network?

2) For the Australians here, can I use the internet features with Optus? Or must I go to Telstra for that?

Thanks Guys:)

2. fart macrumors regular

1) Yes, I don't see any reason why this would be an issue

2) You'll probably have to use Telstra. PITA, I know, but that's just the way the world rotates. In some cases, a 2 pounds of scottish cold cuts in a fancy iPhone box is more valuable to the native Atlantic citizen than the phone itself.

3. rickgmac macrumors newbie

Hi,

Question 2.

You do not have to go to telstra, you can use any network apart from 3, however make sure you check out what the data charges are. I use mine on vodafone and charges are quiet high, I tend to use wifi only. Same for email.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Here is a great FAQ for you.
    Bear in mind that you will be at GPRS speeds with every provider, except Telstra and 3. That is about 6kB/s. With Telstra and EDGE, you can expect 20-30kB/s, which is around that of 256kb/s broadband - so at least bearable. With 3, your iPhone will be an expensive iPod Touch :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention that many plans cost around $1/MB, so very pricey. However, reading mactalk forums, someone mentioned an unlimited data plan with Telstra for around $30/month on top of your normal plan, so be sure to hunt around the complicated Telstra website for it! :)

5. kingkezz macrumors regular

I use optus with data. Speeds are fine for email, google maps. Websites? - only for emergencies. But I hunt for wi-fi first, always at least one unsecured out there...

9.90 data bolt on. pretty sure its 20mb.

6. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Thanks Guys!

Your help has been awesome, I'll be buying an iPhone imminently :)