Buying an iPhone in the UK - few questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkgm1, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Hi there.

I'm quite interested in buying an iPhone, since I've found my SE k850i a bit disappointing. However, I'm currently 4 months through a contract (on O2) and have absolutely no intention of taking out another one.

I gather that I can pick up an iPhone from the Apple Store and then cancel the contract within 14 days. Would the iPhone then be locked to O2? Could I simply put my O2 sim from my current contract in it, and then it would work just fine? Would I get all the standard features, like visual voicemail etc.?

Also, how would I go about activating the thing? Do I have to put the iPhone contract sim in for that to happen, and do I only need to do it once? What about when new firmware comes out - by not having an iPhone contract would I miss out on all the new features/fixes?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but if you took out your contract on the k850i before (I think it is the 19th of September 2007, but may be slightly wrong there), then o2 will terminate your contract for free, and you can then start up an iPhone contract. Also note that the iPhone contracts have just been improved, so £35 a month gets you 600mins and 500txts, along with unlimited data.

Hope this helps :D

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I had an existing contract with O2 and bought an iPhone. Picked it up from the apple store, plugged it into my mac and iTunes opens up asking you which price plan. Then if you want to keep your existing phone number. As you are already an O2 customer, it will be almost immediate - I was up and running right away. It just switched my old contract right over without me having to cancel. I was at the end of the old one mind you...

It also copies all your mail account info, iCal, Address Book and safari bookmarks!

Sim is already inserted out of the box. Phone is locked to O2 - only way out is hacking, but as was just mentioned, price plans are now much better value and have unlimited data plans, which is very handy.

Best thing for you to do is to call O2 to see if they'll let you switch over.

4. Project macrumors 68020

Ask O2 to upgrade. They should let you.

The iPhone is like night and day vs the K850. Almost embarrassing how much better it is.

5. 7084 macrumors member

Slightly related question.

I'm currently on an O2 contract that has finished the required minimum length and so I assume i'm on a month to month basis. I've also got an iPhone on the way.

When my iPhone arrives will I have to ring up O2 and cancel my current contract before activating the iphone, in order to transfer my number etc?

Will activating the iPhone and choosing to transfer the number on iTunes actually cancel my current contract? I don't want to accidentily set up a new contraact while still paying for my old one!

Cheers

6. MisterEd macrumors 6502

I'd imagine that would just 'upgrade' (or transfer) your existing account & contract to the iPhone one, and not just create a new one.

Ed

7. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Taken from http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/frequentlyaskedquestions/prepurchase

Hope this helps.

Also in response to 7084, I was in the same position as you and there was no need to cancel my contract - just buy the iPhone, take it home and activate it. It will ask you as part of the process if you wish to keep the same number.

8. mkgm1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for all the help. :)

I should probably have been clearer... I have no intention of taking out another O2 contract because I don't want to go over the £25 a month I currently pay. I have no interest in the unlimited data tariffs (well, I don't think the unlimited data justifies the extra £180 over the 18 months) especially since I live in an area with free wifi access all over the place.

So with that in mind, what I meant to ask was that without unlocking, could I use a store bought iPhone with any old O2 sim?

9. RHD macrumors 6502

Your current O2 contract will run for a year or 18 months or whatever it is. The cost of the Sony phone you got off them before is factored into the payments for the duration of the contract.

An iPhone will come locked into O2.
    You can phone O2 and ask them if you buy your own handset will they let you use it on the same contract but I doubt they'll go for it. Try and see.

Or take your sim card into a shop that lets you demo a live handset, put your own O2 sim card in it and see what happens. If they want to make the sale they'll let you.

I think you would have to get the iPhone unlocked, or buy it in an EU country that sells them unlocked but the UI may be in French or something.
    I do not know as I do not have one but if you get it unlocked I doubt you will be able to upgrade it at all without then having to go and get it unlocked again.

I'm just waiting until they get better value.