Buying an iPhone in US.. Warranty & Will it work in ..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unknownx, Dec 6, 2013.

1. unknownx macrumors regular

I'm traveling to the states soon and thinking about buying an iPhone 5S at an Apple store. (Unlocked $649)

I live in Sweden duo, Will it work on our network back home and will the warranty still exist here? Can i drop it in the Swedish Apple store i.e if it brokes?

Here the phone costs around $909 in dollars, unlocked - so its a big difference.

2. murano macrumors member

It should work with the GSM carriers in your country.
    If you get the Apple Care+ you would be covered in Sweden Apple Store as well. This was told to me by the genius in Apple store. Double check on that though.

3. Idefix macrumors 6502

Main thing to consider is that US iPhones have different LTE bands than the iPhones sold in Europe:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

scroll down to find the European LTE bands and Swedish providers. As I've had it explained elsewhere (I'm no expert) one of the main differences is that the US version doesn't have band 7. AFAIK band 7 provides LTE around major cities in Europe--but that band isn't used in the US.

In other words, you may not be able to get LTE using the US version in Europe.

You should contact your Swedish provider and find out what LTE bands it uses.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are probably going to miss one LTE band (here in Italy this is the problem), so you can have spotty LTE coverage or no LTE coverage at all, depends on your carrier.

As for the warranty, the first year will be covered, but not the second one, because it's an European law that not applies on devices bought in USA.