Buying an iPhone on eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfilm, Nov 11, 2007.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, I would like to cut down the amount of money in my PayPal account by making a semi large purchase, like an iPhone!
    But would buying one online that says locked to o2 and the seller having a reciept of their purchase from an o2/carphone warehouse/apple shop be the same as if I was to buy one from the store myself??

What I mean is, do you have to agree or sign anything IN the store when you purchase an iPhone? Is it perfectly fine to buy a legit one of eBay and accivate on iTunes with o2 contract etc?

Thanks for any advice guys

2. JadawinUK macrumors member

I bought my O2 iPhone on Friday evening, just told them I am an existing customer and that was it. Nothing to sign, just to pay with a card. Then I went home, connected the iPhone to iTunes, was asked if a was an existing or new customer, about the plan I want to use and my existing mobile number. Then I got a text with a PIN to my old mobile, entered the PIN into the form on iTunes and that was it. It may take a while until your iPhone will use your old number, for me it took just 30 minutes.

So getting an iPhone (locked to O2 and unopened) on Ebay should be just the same as getting it in the shop - if it's no fraud.

3. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Thats the most important part. I held my nose and bid on an iPhone on ebay, got outbid, and about an hour later got a notice declaring the auction "null and void" because someone had used a stolen account to list it.....

Always be cautious with ebay:rolleyes:

4. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks for the info JadawinUK, much appreciated :)