Buying an iPhone outright

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willjax, Aug 15, 2009.

1. willjax macrumors member

ok ok ok

Basically, I want to buy an iphone 3GS 16gig, you can buy them from the Apple online store in Australia for $879. Now it says that they are outright, now my understanding of outright is that when you purchase something you now own it and can choose what SIM card you want to put in it etc and it will work.

But this is not the case when it comes to the iphone. They sell them 'outright' but they are locked to Telstra and you must then go to Telstra and pay them $150 to unlock the phone so you can put another carriers SIM card in it.

To me, this is very very very misleading and can easily be considered false advertising as the phone is NOT available 'outright' as they have advertised as it is locked to Telstra.

I think that this is a very sneaky way in picking up a shiteload of money where they wouldn't otherwise be making any off the actual phone and I'm sure that if you it to Consumer Affairs they would agree.

What are your thoughts? I, for one, think its a load of crap.

Cheers

2. willjax thread starter macrumors member

furthermore, this is the definition of outright.

Note point 3

Use outright in a Sentence
    –adjective
    1. complete or total: an outright loss.
    2. downright or unqualified: an outright refusal.
    3. without further payments due, restrictions, or qualifications: an outright sale of the car.
    4. Archaic. directed straight out or on.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I see what you are saying but outright really is just buying a product without a contract at least in case of iphone.

If it said outright unlocked phone that'd be different.

4. willjax thread starter macrumors member

I know what you mean but the term 'outright' doesn't change just because it's an iphone, you know?

I find it very frustrating that they can do this and no one else seems to care. They may as well sell the phone for $879 + 150 and that be it instead of advertising it as $879

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I looked at the apple au store and it says:

"iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS and connect to
    iTunes 8.2 to complete activation.2 Purchase limitations may apply."

If you have to actually pay a fee to use with any carrier that is misleading since I don't see that on the site. Even if it is there that is something that should be very well displayed. Wording to me implies unlocked not tied to any carrier.

6. willjax thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, on further investigation, it looks as though if you buy one direct from the apple store then they are outright and true to the term, but if you buy one from Next Byte etc, then they are locked to telstra!

I just got a bit ahead of myself ;)

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

uh if you buy directlly from apple here in the US, its locked to AT&T. I take the term outright as to mean no contract, it does not mean unlocked and I assume that most people take that term to similar meaning. Maybe you shouldn't take everything so literal. Outright doesn't mean unlocked regardless of what the dictionary says.

8. alansaysstop macrumors regular

That's because in the US the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T. I believe they have laws against that in astralia. Telstra might just OFFER the iPhone at a unsubsidized price if you use there networks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Me and my housemate up in Brisbane both have Iphones brought outright from the Aus apple online store. Im on telstra, he's on Optus I think. Both worked fine straight up.

10. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I bought mine outright in the Apple store in Robina, Queensland and I can pop any simcard I want in there.

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Don't let Apple brainwash you. We can't take "outright" literally here simply because of the stupid exclusive agreement between AT&T and Apple. What's in buying an iPhone "outright" for $600, only to find that you'll need to have an AT&T SIM, only without a two-year jail time? I'd much rather buy one "truly outright" for 600 Euro and go to T-Mobile.

12. willjax thread starter macrumors member

yeah but like i said earlier, if you buy any other phone outright there are no unlocking fees blah blah blah, you can put any sim in it, all im saying is that this should be no different when it comes to an iphone.

as a few people mentioned thought, its only when you buy it from one of the carriers and not the apple store here in aus, telstra says outright but they still charge a fee so its prob not apples fault, more telstras

13. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Do you have a link to where the company uses the term 'outright'? I'm sure they say 'no contract' or some variation of that.

14. willjax thread starter macrumors member

I'm only going by what i was told by the sales people. I know the one guy actually took Telstra to court over it and won.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple Store = outright, unlocked, do what you like. We in Australia are one of the few countries where Apple provide the phone direct to the public without any network requirement.

Next Byte etc. = Network and Apple resellers, possible to buy off-contract but not unlocked.

Just before everyone jumps in, remember we are not talking about the US here. This relates to AUSTRALIA where the laws are different.

16. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

That's already a fairly good deal, whether you have to pay Telstra for the unlocking fee.

My country offers factory unlocked phones but with mandatory contracts. It's not unlike AT&T's deal, the only difference in the units being able to be used worldwide, regardless of the number of SIM's you pop in.

If you are already tied to a contract, I do not see the point why the phone still has to be locked to the carrier, in my opinion.