Buying an iPhone with Cash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grey Goshawk, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Grey Goshawk macrumors newbie

I read back in October that the iPhone was only purchasable with a Credit or Debit card.
    I'm wondering if that has changed now since I'm going to New York on a school trip and I am considering picking up an iPhone from the Apple Store.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Buy a Gift Card with cash, then use the gift card to by the iPhone.

TEG

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Afaik, they don't accept gift cards either. Thats why there was so much controversy over the issue.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I meant one of those Visa/MC/AMEX reloadable Credit Cards.

TEG

5. Grey Goshawk thread starter macrumors newbie

So there's absolutely no chance of me being able to purchase an iPhone with cash?

6. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

I purschased mine from an Apple store in the area with cash, and I believe it was November.

It wasn't an issue.

7. B.A. macrumors regular

If you have the cash, go to your local bank and sign up for a free checking account and get the debit card.

8. Grey Goshawk thread starter macrumors newbie

Which Apple Store was it?

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

no..must be with credit or debit card-- i suppose you could use a gift card for part of it and then use credit for the rest...they do this because there is a limit of 5 iPhone allowed to be purchased by one person and they need to keep track of it

10. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

I do not know the store number or anything like that, but it was in Woodfield Mall, in Schaumburg, IL.

11. Grey Goshawk thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps because New York is more of a tourist location they wouldn't accept cash, right?

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i just bought a 16gb iphone last week. I read on the apple website no gift cards and no cash. you must use credit/debit or bill me later. basically it was to stop or limit people from buyer them and reselling on ebay and things like that.

13. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

Obviously possible, however, Woodfield mall is "famed" as being the second largest mall in America. (2nd to the Mall of America)

One could call it the most "touristey" part of the Chicagoland area, besides the loop.

14. Grey Goshawk thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, since I'm only 15 there's no way that I'll be able to get a card to buy the iPhone.
    So my only option is probably trying to reason with the store's staff and somehow striking a deal with them, or asking one of my teachers on the trip.
    Ah, seems like my hope of getting an iPhone from the states has waned =(

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup that will work. Sign up for a free bank account. It takes 1-2 weeks for the debit card.

To OP, why can't you ask your parent?

16. Grey Goshawk thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a school trip to America and my parents have just given me money to buy things. =(
    What has interested me though is that I hear you can pay half by cash and the rest by card?
    If that's true can I pay like $380 by cash and try and get one of my teachers to pay $20 on their card?

17. weaterneyes macrumors newbie

Just idle curiosity here but can "legal tender" be refused?

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It shouln't be able to be, but often is for high value items.

TEG

19. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i would find out for sure before you get your hopes up!! where are you visiting from and how long will you be here??

20. veedubdrew macrumors regular

You only need to use $1 or more on a debit or credit card. I paid $498 in cash and gift cards, $1 on a debit (plus tax of course).

Find someone with a debit card and have them charge $1 of the purchase price to it. :)

-Drew

21. joshj09 macrumors newbie

I also plan on visiting the good old USA in the coming weeks to purchase an iPhone (also Canadian).

So you guys are saying as long as I have a Visa card, I can purchase an iPhone without any problems? I don't need a USA address or anything else?

22. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

not if you buy at Apple store-- they may ask for your email, but no street address

23. joshj09 macrumors newbie

Perfect. I should get a chance to get across the border in the upcoming weeks so I'm going to cross my fingers I come back across with an iPhone!

24. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Who takes large amounts of cash on trips?

I am just paranoid enough to never even consider carrying more than $300 in cash around at one time.

25. joshj09 macrumors newbie

I prefer not to carry large amounts of cash either, but sometimes you have no choice.

I'm just hoping once I get the iPhone back it's easy to get it jailbroken and working on Rogers.