buying an iphone without contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by magichands, Feb 18, 2008.

1. magichands macrumors newbie

Hi,
    just to clarify,

If I walk into O2 shop, I can buy a new Iphone without a contract, then activate and unlock it myself if i know how to do that and it will work?

If so, do they not query why I haven't signed a contract?

thankyou.

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Just buy the phone and use ZiPhone to JB it and unlock it. They won't query the contract as thats supposed to be done through iTunes when you get home.

3. jaydp1 macrumors newbie

unlock guide

here is an unlock guide for ziphone 2.4: 5 mins Guide

4. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no GUI, which makes it more difficult, it's done through cmd commands and you can't Select Jailbreak, Unlock and Activate as you state don your website.

maybe you could on 2.3

5. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

1) Yes
    2) No...the salesperson did ask if I knew how to activate it and I said yes and that was the end of it.

6. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

So, how did you go about activating?

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

if you want it to work they way intended with no hastle and get all the goodies as and when they come out and have a warrenty just go legit, also, if you use a lot of data and ever take advantage of the free cloud coverage its a bargain in my opinion.

8. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I used the old 1.1.2 Jailbreak (which also activates the iphone) along with a 200 min 200 text O2 sim from a cashback contract I have with E2Save (which after one year will have made me a £140 profit!).
    The ziphone unlock now seems to be in vogue, plenty of threads to read on it and a good guide on http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11
    Great phone...the first time a mobile phone has ever impressed me.

9. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but no thanks, are you taking the Michael?

£35 a month for 18 months.

10. zetsurin macrumors regular

Sure, you just buy the phone, run Ziphone. 5 mins later you can pop in a PAYG SIM.

I use the following:

O2 PAYG SIM (200 texts) with 200MB data bolt-on for £7.50 a month. I charge £10 a month which gives you a 10% bonus topup. For Wifi, in the extreme remote cases that I need more than cell data, there is thecloud £6.99/month unlimited plan. If you find you make a lot of calls, you can just get the Simplicity SIM from O2. Even with the bolt-on it's significantly cheaper than the iPhone contract.

Total outlay: £269 + £10/month [or £16.99/month incl unlimited wifi data with thecloud]
    Contract length: 0 months.
    Not being bound to a contract: Priceless.

11. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, getting a 16gb phone today and from what I've seen it is the DB's, opting for simplicity 15 with free unlimited o2 calls bolt on and paying for the internet bolt on.

12. ebony macrumors regular

I'm also contemplating getting the 16GB iphone today.

I'm a little concerned that a price drop is imminent, days rather than weeks or months. I have no rational reason for thinking this other than random posts in this and other mac forums.

Does anyone think this is a valid concern ?

I'm happy to buy now, but would hate to see a price drop within a week of paying £329 for the 16 GB.

Anyone have experience of O2's or carphone warehouse return policy on opened iphones ? ( by opened I mean the box rather than any sort of unlocking )

13. zetsurin macrumors regular

They will definitely make it very difficult to return unless it's faulty or you can show you failed a credit check when attempting to activate, which would also have to have taken place within 2 weeks of buying the phone. They are real pr1cks. They make you sign that paperwork when they buy the phone with these exact clauses in place. You may be lucky though, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

14. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

Statutory 14 day return policy.

You could be waiting a long time for a price drop, just to save £50.

15. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Thats why most peeps don't buy an iphone from CPWH....At the O2 shop the only thing you sign is the credit card receipt.

16. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, got it, took 5 minutes from o2, name/address and payment, receipt says you can return it within 14 days for a refund.

Now the fun begins.

17. magichands thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not even that, I forgot my pin and tried to sign, it got declined, they only accept pin, had to go back to the shop after I went home and checked what my pin was, they don't take cash either.

18. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Unless your upgrading your contract they wont care,

Hell if your so nervous about it just order one online from apple or go to an appe store and that should be the end of it.

19. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Just heard the iPhone will be released here in Ireland in March, I'd be grateful if someone could confirm what I have outlined below.

I buy an iPhone from either o2 or CPW or Apple, it comes with an o2 sim. If I don't go through the activation process, there's no contract and I do not have to pay o2 anything. I unlock/jailbreak the iPhone and put a different sim in and have all the features of a legit iPhone apart from visual voicemail, which o2 Ireland do not support anyway.

Am I right?

20. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Thats how it is in England.

21. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member