Buying an iPhone without credit history and Early Termination Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by velascarlos, Sep 5, 2009.

1. velascarlos macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am a student who has just land on the USA. I am gonna stay here for 8 months as an exchange student studding abroad.

I pretend to buy an iPhone 3GS with a 2 years contract with AT&T and break the contract after 8 months (when I am going back to my home country) and pay the Early Termination Fee (175$ - (8x5) = 135$)

I was today on an AT&T store, and when I was about to buy the iPhone they check my SSN and they realize that I haven't any credit history (obviously, because this is my first time on the USA), so, they asked me for a 500$ deposit refundable after a year.

At that moment I told them that I was planning to break the contract after 8 months because of my exchange student circumstances and I asked them if I will receive my deposit back even I break the contract and pay the ETF. They answer that they will give me back the deposit minus the ETF, so I will get my deposit back.

The point is that I am not sure that they will give me back my 500$ deposit if I break the contract before a year. They told me "yes" today, but they can tell me "no" after 8 months. I have neither see that written on the AT&T website..

Thank you in advance.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

They have no grounds for holding your deposit provided you have paid for the service and paid their termination fee upon closing your account.

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I doubt anyone on this board is as good a source of information about your issues as AT&T itself. But I would call them and ask to talk to a supervisor before signing up. The sales person in the AT&T store is motivated to sign you up and may not be worried about what your situation will be when you leave the US.

4. velascarlos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer, I was wondering that probably someone has been on the same situation, he has pass throw that and he could now if they will return my deposit back if I get the ETF...

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

The deposit is so you don't just walk away and never pay a bill. After 8 months they will give you your deposit back, if you're worried ask them to write it in your contract.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

VelaCarlos,

From what you wrote I believe that what you will get back will be $365.00 not $500. However you will not have to pay the ETF as they will have taken that amount out of the $500.00 deposit. It is a common business activity here. In the end you come out the same.

I would however check with an AT&T supervisor, and even if you can,get it in writing.

By the way, welcome to America and I hope you have an enjoyable stay and when you go home you carry with you lots of great memories.

7. velascarlos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tom G. and.. do you know if it would be possible to keep my same phone number and pass it to prepaid when I finish the contract anticipate after paying de ETF?

I mean, use the iphone with the contract, then finish it anticipated and go to an at&t prepaid plan keeping the same phone number..

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I can't say in this particular instance, but that is normally not a problem. AT&T can give you better info about this than I can, but keeping your phone number when changing services is an accepted practice here. I did it when changing from Verizon to AT&T.