Buying an Iphone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Namiai, May 10, 2011.

1. Namiai macrumors newbie

Ok so in a few weeks i think i will be buying the Iphone 4 because at this point no one knows when the Iphone 4G/5 will be coming out and it will may my phone bill cheaper.

But how much memory will i need? I have an 8GB ipod and its always full but im stuck between getting the 16GB and a 32GB. I love having lots of music short clips, school papers, school editing apps, language apps and overall tones of apps on my iPod. Im a college student my other question is if i buy the phone out right does that mean i can get away with a one year contract???

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would go with the 32GB especially if you like to download many apps. Some apps can easily take 2GB of space so do the math as to how easy it is to fill up the device.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have the 16 gig iPhone 4 and have about 7 gig free after 9+ months of use. I also have a 16 gig iPad 1. I previously had an 8 gig iPod Touch. What I do to save memory: I delete photos and videos after they are copied off the iPhone. I avoid "pig" apps like "elements" that use up over a gig. I only keep about 100 songs on my device. I use a similar strategy on my iPad and it is never in danger of becoming full.

One reason I might consider a larger device is for watching movies. I ripped the first 7 HP movies and the largest is just over a gig and the smallest is about 800 meg. If I wanted to keep several movies along with me, I'd definitely go for a larger device. But if you want to save money up front, it is possible to use a smaller device if you are "disciplined" about what you carry around with you.

As for the 1 year contract, are you saying you plan to pay full price for your iPhone? If so, you should be month to month from day 1 depending on your carrier.