Buying an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by matty.h95, Dec 25, 2014.

1. matty.h95 macrumors newbie

Hi all I'm new and looking to buy a new Iphone well a 4s or 5c, sorry if in wrong section.

My question is if i buy one of ebay that is used is there sim locked to their phone? so when i get it i have to go and get it unlocked so my sim can work? i will be using ee because thats what my sim is now.

Thanks Mat

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need an unlocked one.
    Do not buy a locked iPhone thinking you can just unlock it yourself.

3. rigormortis, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

there is just way too many phones on eBay with activation lock on, i would never tell a first time buyer to a used one from eBay. i do not understand why eBay is allowed to list stolen phones. as far as i am concerned if that seller does not know how to turn off activation lock, that phone is stolen and for some reason , eBay is allowed to get away with it

in my recent shopping experience i had to pay at least $180 to get an iPhone that does not have activation lock

i think your best bet is YES buy an unlocked phone !! but buy one from swappa.com, they check the Serial Numbers / IMEI / MEID, that way you know the phones are good to go

once you pay for the phone you are given the IMEI / MEID of that phone, and you can check it to make sure its not locked with iCloud
    http://lcoud.com/activationlock/

swappa guarantees that the phone is not blacklisted.

they don't guarantee it will take another company's sim card though
    thats between you and the seller

http://swappa.com/risks

i came across a few eBay sellers that still list there phones as "AT&T" even though they are not locked

when in doubt. buy a VERIZON iPhone 5 or higher
    don't buy a verizon 4s. i made that mistake recently i cancelled the transaction 1 minute later and the seller was cool with it