Buying an iPod NOW - right for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean Dempsey, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Supject should say iPHONE, lol. Frickin Xanax.

I am really wanting an iphone now. As in tomorrow when my broinlaw is in vegas.

I know all about the possible updates in june/july, but here's my points:

- I don't need/want more memory. 8g is plenty for me. I have no intention of using this as an ipod or video player. I'll put on a few albums or funny video clips, but nothing important

- I live in a town that probably won't be seeing 3G anytime soon. As in years.

- Don't care about cosmetic redesign. Don't care about camera on front.

Given this, I can't see any huge reason to wait. Given those things I listed, is there any other possible feature or update that would be worth waiting for? It's not a money thing.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

i think you pretty much covered it.

however, nobody knows basically anything for a fact about the second generation iphone, or that it will even really be updated, so there is no real way to know of new features that may sway your decision.

BUT, if you feel comfortable, go for it.

3. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

if you want it, get it!
    but if you want the cheaper option, i would wait until the 3g comes out, then 2.5g will be dirt cheap. It's up to you though! Personally i would wait for the 2.5g to go cheap if i were in your case, but because i'm in mine, and i live near the city, i'm waiting for 3g. Just wider variety of abilities

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mind as well get it now or if you wait till the new version is released the 8gig Edge models will probably drop even lower in price.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do you like saving money? There's a decent chance that there will be some model at $299 to help increase the number of iPhones sold. My guess is either the present 8GB unit will be cleared out or they will have an 8GB model with all the new junk on it at $299.

I also want you to write down "I don't need more than 8GB" because I have a feeling that at some point you'll say, "Damn, that was a stupid thing to say." If you literally can't wait 2 months to see what the big changes are, plunge ahead. But I think you might kick yourself for not waiting when the signs are so obvious for a big change.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You mean iPhone?

It's possible that the iPhone will also see the addition of GPS, if you're interested.

Some advice: don't buy an iPhone now because your brother in law is coming to town. It's easy to discount the updates in the upcoming months because your brother in law is coming to town and you want to show him your new toy, but you might regret it later. I would suggest waiting until after his visit so you can make an unbiased decision... unless you really want it now. ;)

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

The money isn't relevant to me really. Worst case, I give the old one to my wife on a family plan and buy myself the new one.

And also, I've had an ipod since fall of '04, and right now if you look at my current black 30gig video, it has 8.1 gigs of music on it. My Mac Pro workstation? 11 gigs of music. I just don't have/want that much music.

I just get the feeling the possible Iphone 2 will have features that I won't need or use.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I missed the part about the brother in law.
    Definetelly get it before he arrives in town then :D

9. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

lol, I meant he's picking it up for me at the apple store in Caesars Palace, so I don't have to wait on the shipping.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Just playin bro, tell him to grab you one and enjoy it.

11. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Will the new one (3g) be cheaper than the one on market right now? On eBay they go for around 200 punds/400$ - So maybe the new one will be cheaper or what? Is anyone thinking of a redesing? Maybe more thin and small in general?

12. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Vegas was sold out of iPhones, so none for me.

But, one things I WOULD wait til July for is real GPS. And since the rumor is it might have that, that's worth the wait. Real, non-internet GPS would be amazing, especially if there are 3rd party geocaching and waypoint software developed.