Buying an iPod Touch 32GB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I did some math, and worked out that, basically, if I want an iPod touch for all my music (not counting movies, podcasts, photos, applications, and other content), I require a 64GB or larger iPod touch... I'm definitely interested in one (and I have zero interest in an iPhone).

Executive summary of the math I did:
    Size of library (100% Apple Lossless): 85.52 GB
    Total Time: 11 days 23 hours 30 minutes 36 seconds
    Estimated size after conversion to 160 kbps MP3: 28.51 GB
    Usable space on 32 GB iPod touch (not including space used by OS): 29.80 GB
    Usable space on 32 GB iPod touch, using 5% OS size estimate: 28.31 GB

Therefore, I'll be short about 200 MB, if my math is reasonable, of fitting my entire library on an iPod touch 32 GB... that's including only the song files. I also have about 220 MB worth of movies, and 60 MB of photos.

EDIT: Thanks to the people who replied... I've edited the thread title, to reflect my change in purchasing decision. Looks like, if I use 128 kbps (or lower) AAC, it WILL fit on a 32 GB touch, with space left over.

2. mBurns macrumors 6502

A 64 Gb Touch would be incredible. I'm guessing that is some ways away.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Why do you NEED your entire library on your iPod at all times? I can't imagine a situation where someone would be away from their computer and have an unexpected situation REQUIRING a certain song at that VERY moment.

Or am I just not getting it?

4. poolish macrumors regular

lol I think u will be waiting a while, but anyway if u r short 200 mb or maybe a bit more, couldn't you make up for that by encoding some of your music at a lower bit rate? to save enough space.
    thats if u wanted the whole library, but personally I just put my favourite albums on my iPhone and change it up when I get bored.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

September.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Might I suggest having your top third or so most listened to songs at a higher quality (160-192 kbps DRM-free AAC), and having the rest at a lower quality like 128/96 kbps DRM-free AAC. AAC is a better format than MP3. Oh, VBR if possible. That setup should give you the highest quality most of the time.

EDIT: Poolish beat me to it.

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You make a good point - the reason is quite simple. I've never had to deal with not having enough space on my iPod to store my entire music library at once. Now that I do... it might make sense to buy a 32GB touch now. The only problem is, according to our very own Buyer's Guide, the iPod touch is overdue for an update... though there's not much historical data to go by yet, so I'm not sure how reliable that recommendation is.
    I could indeed do that. Like I said in the post above though, it may end up not mattering if I just load it up with random songs instead of filling it completely.

8. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

So that when you travel you can access whatever song you want whenever you want - the entire point of iPods! I want to listen to Bach - here it is. Now I want MegaDeath - here it is. Bam.

Here's another thing - with the Touch you start to use it differently to all the other iPods.

First you start regularly watching Diggnation on the thing. Then you upload a few music videos. (Jessica Simpson & Christina Aguilera for those lonely nights). Next you download a few favourite South Park eps for the train trip to work. Finally you realise that you can easily record your favourite shows on EyeTV and watch them in the deck chair with a beer at night when the gf/wife/kids are gone to bed. Of course, by the end of the week there's 9 hours of video waiting to be watched.

Suddenly 32GB isn't really that much.

9. patmort02 macrumors member

Unfortunately I don't think it will be out any time soon. Just think of how much the macbook air with flash memory still costs...

10. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I would say that there is a slim chance we could see a 64GB by September but the price would be high, we're talking like $550 or $600 because of the cost of parts.

More likely is that we'll be waiting until next year when they expect component parts to come down in price.

11. colenbjw macrumors newbie

a twist to the 64 GB question...

Not to hijack the thread, but when this new 65 GB Touch comes out, any thoughts on redesign, or more importantly, upgrades to processors, etc - i.e. I'm not so interested in the higher capacity per se, but thoughts on whether it would be worth it to wait 'till September to get my Touch on... I don't like the idea of having the 1st generation that is relatively 'crippled' in comparison to the next one (if it only means waiting a month and a half...) I know any response to this would pretty much all be speculation, but...

My real question would be: Should I get the 16 gig Touch now or wait 'till September for a possible upgrade?? (I'm going away on business next week and would love an upgrade from my third generation iPod that doesn't hold a charge for more than 2 hours!)

12. jaylay0707 macrumors member

i think the "upgrades" are coming in the way of software updates, i would just get it now

13. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

exactly.

I personally don't need all that space on my iPod touch.
    For me, 16GB is enough.
    I dont like to carry my whole iTunes library around with me. It's not really worth my time to have all those songs and no apps, videos, or photos.
    Although, the 32GB one looks very enticing. :D

14. mshepherd macrumors regular

if you want space get the ipod classic, that is what its designed for.

15. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

obviously it's coming this tuesday, I mean why wouldn't it? 64GB flash drives are sooooo cheap and easy to find.

For reals, the only person who knows is steven jobs

16. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well... in that case, I think I will be getting a 32GB touch. I didn't think I'd have to wait until September or even into 2009 :eek: