Buying an Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fuzzygus, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fuzzygus macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy an Ipod touch with my money. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a 16 gig. But when i was searching Ipods, I discovered a price drop of $100 for all touches and Iphones. I was about to buy one today but i might wait. Is this rumor of a price drop true, or can I buy one now and return it if the price drop is true? Also, should I get the 32-gig now since it will techinally be the same price of the 16-gig im getting now? Is 16-gigs enough. I wont have to many movies and about 3 gigs of music.:apple:

Thanks

P.S. Im new to these boards.

2. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

16GB should be more than enough for you. As for the price drop, it's probably not gonna happen any time soon, if at all. My guess is that in September, the 16GB will move to $299 and the 32 to $399. I don't see prices falling, though. You're safe buying one now. Enjoy.

4. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

It's hard to say really when this will happen. Apple has being announcing stuff each week for a while now.

To the OP, you just have to bite the bullet. Make sure you buy from a company that has a solid 30 day return policy. Also, the back of the touch scratches very easily. So, if you plan on returning one in that 30 day window (just in case there is a price drop, right?), make sure you don't scratch up hte back.

Places like Amazon.com will honor the price drop in that 30 day window, so you won't even have to return the unit. Plus, free shipping and no tax make it a very attractive vendor to deal with.

Go for the 32 gig if you can afford it. 100 bucks for an extra 16 gigs is a great deal. I have a 16 and wish I had a 32.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, it's $100 well spent. But if you're not even gonna use the 16GB to it's full capacity, why pay more for something that you won't use?

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I guess this is a glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty type of thing. I would personally rather have more than I need than to not have enough if I were to need it. It's about the best way I can think to future proof my technology purchases. Maybe future-proof isn't accurate, perhaps just stall the inevitable a bit longer?

I am a big believer to buy the "best" you can given the funds you have to work with.

<note> If I hadn't inadvertantly scratched the living crap out of the back of my 16gb touch, I'd be selling it on fleabay and getting the 32gb. But, the back looks really crappy (my wedding ring did most of the damage) and I know I would take a big hit on the value due to the back.

7. fuzzygus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone. I decided to buy the 16 gig from amazon since its already $20 cheaper. It should be arriving at the end of the week. :D

8. thatonekid393 macrumors member

Little bit late, but I bought my 32GB from Costco, since they have a three-month guarantee that protects me from price drops.

9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

that is outstanding information! How much is a costco membership? That's like Sam's Club right? Gotta pay a yearly fee for the privalege of buying 5 gallons of peanut butter at a time? :cool:

I wonder how long Sam's return is.

10. thatonekid393 macrumors member

My mom has the membership, I just paid her for the Touch :)
    I'm not sure how much Sam's Club is....but we have the membership there too :D

11. Mobius7 macrumors newbie

I find that 16gig is plently but just look at your iTunes and at the bottom see how many GB of music movies and other stuff you have, add up and decide 16 or 32

12. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Ask yourself, "Under what circumstances would I NEED an extra 16GB?" I have an 8GB jailbroken model with 800 songs, two full length movies, a couple of podcasts and 400 photos, along with 18 native applications and still have 1.96 GB free. If I want to put something else on, I just replace what I don't need any more, like the movies once I've watched them.

13. dkallan macrumors newbie

The 8gb version is now $259 canadian at Best Buy. I bought one on Jan 8-08 and got two refunds (30 and 20) in the thirty day price guarantee period.

I love this gadget as it syncs perfectly to my Vista laptop Outlook (calendar and contacts). The startup time is almost instantaneous with the flash memory. I free podcasts from National Geographic are terrific.

P.S. I am a long time PC user who thinks Vista is great. I never get any errors for almost a year of use. Also, the programs I use do not support a Mac version any more such as Quickbooks 2008, etc.

I love the look and feel of the new MBPs, but I can't justify the high price.
    (2899 vs 899).

Anyway, more later

14. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I travel just about every week. I like to put about 4 gb worth of music on my 16gb touch and load up the rest with movies and music DVD's. I'm lazy and don't want to resync before each trip. I just load up a **** load of movies (thanks to Handbrake) and when i finally have viewed them all, I'll re-sync.

I really wish I had the extra 16gbs. But, I have a reasonable amount of disposable income. I just wish I'd not have bought mine for x-mas. I knew better, but hey, I got to enjoy it for a couple of months that I'd have missed had I waited around a bit.

You can always wait for the next release, and if you do it often enough, you never get to enjoy anything. I have no regrets, but had I had the opportunity to drop another 100 to get 16 extra gigs, I'm all over it.

As far as needs versus wants, none of us really "need" an iPod Touch. We sure do want them a lot though!