Buying an LTE Watch....but not using the LTE

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anyjungleinguy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. anyjungleinguy macrumors 6502

I'm in the UK but I don't feel like changing over to EE just for being able to use the LTE Apple Watch so I've got a couple of questions.

1. Can I buy the LTE Apple Watch and not "activate" the SIM card/use it without an LTE plan and not run into any issues?

2. As I won't be using the LTE features (until my carrier offers support) can I turn off the LTE radios/cellular to preserve battery life even further? If no, what about Airplane Mode on and then manually turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth back on?

It'd save me having to get a non-LTE Watch and then upgrade again when my carrier launches support.

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Answer 1 is yes. Answer 2 no, the radio is not enabled, so it is grayed out since you chose not to Set up Cellular. It also will not nag you to turn cellular one. It will work just like the GPS only model.

Dave

3. Zxxv macrumors 68040

4. technole macrumors 6502

technole

EE is the better provider over there anyway, and it's greyed out if you don't activate.

5. anyjungleinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Brill, thank you. I was wondering if it would search networks or something similar if not activated.

I wouldn’t personally agree with that, especially with their pathetic pricing.