Buying an SSD for MacBook Pro in the future - options and questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doju, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Intel seems to be the way to go, and I have no problem with the price (which will likely drop further by the time I purchase it) and the storage (I'll get an external drive).

But, my one caution stopping me from wanting to get this is the lack of TRIM or garbage collecting. Does Intel plan to update the firmware for their drives to support either of these?

If not, the Intel drives takes a hit in performance eventually, no? So, in that case, is there another SSD people would recommend?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel does support TRIM but OS X does not. It's not that important if you aren't writing a lot and OS X will likely support it sooner than later

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

There are other newer drives out there that support GC. No need to limit yourself to Intel only.

4. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Agreed. Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, G Skill, etc. all make some good drives (and a few mediocre ones).

I'm not too concerned about GC on TRIM-less Mac with newer SSDs. However, of course, I wish that Apple would implement TRIM soon.

5. Drudkh macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy the new MBP next month, which SSD should I buy that comes with GC?

6. k43l macrumors member

7. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Gonna have to say stick with who did it best, Intel 160GB G2.
    This is from my G1, and trim isn't a big deal although its very useful. Every 6 months or so, run the intel ssd toolbox and you should be good. I've had this macbook pro coming up on little under a year and i've reloaded once.
    [​IMG]

8. Drudkh macrumors newbie

OWC is not available in my country. The Intel G2 160GB cost slightly more than OCZ Vertex 2 120GB but the way I see is that OCZ has GC and Intel don't.

Is the Intel toolbox for OS X or do I need Windows?

9. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

10. z125 macrumors newbie

I have a Crucial C300 64GB SSD with firmware 0002. It does internal garbage collection and it seems to do it VERY WELL since I have written heavily to the drive and write speeds have not degraded any (verified with xbench). There is no need for trim if you get a drive with good firmware.

11. kalibar macrumors newbie

Pretty sure that running the Intel toolbox in Windows isn't going to help your OS X partition, same as always.

12. Drudkh macrumors newbie

Wow, that sucks for a drive without GC. :( If OSX do not intend to implement TRIM function in the future, getting a drive with GC is the way to go?

z125: How long have you had the drive?

13. roliath macrumors regular

roliath