Buying an unlocked iPhone from Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arunim, Aug 3, 2010.

1. arunim macrumors member

I'm planning to drive across the border into Vancouver (I live in Seattle), and go to the apple store to buy an unlocked iPhone from there.

Is it possible for me to do this? (Assuming they have stock) Do they sell unlocked phones at the store? Also any issues with me using an american credit card to buy it? Otherwise I can maybe just pay cash.

Can someone who has already done this please confirm and share your experience.

Cheers!

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Should be no problem. Just call ahead first to make sure they'll have units available when you get there.

I can't think of a reason why they would not want to sell it to you.

3. Viscidity macrumors newbie

The iphone 4 is sold out everywhere in Vancouver, you're probably going to have to wait a week or two to find some units available here.

4. DarthBeldar macrumors newbie

Purchased Iphone 4 in Canada

I drove from Chicago and purchased 2 Iphone 4's 32GB with US credit card in Apple store near Toronto no problem.

5. arunim thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks guys. I'm still saving up to buy the phone, so I'll get it sometime early next month. Hopefully they'll have plenty of stock by then!

6. cbronfman macrumors 6502

What sim card can you use in the US

I have plenty of family in Canada so I'm intrigued by this idea. What microsim card will you use when you get the phone back in the US. Can you pop in a Verizon microsim? I'm not sure what network protocols Rogers and Telus are on in Canada - I know our phones are locked down here to ATT, but aren't there some software changes that would be needed so an IP4 purchased in Canada would run on one of the networks down here???

When I go to Canada, my 3GS works great, faster than here - on Telus. I couldn't seem to get Rogers to download data (email).

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

People can convert their current SIM to a micro version.
    FYI, Verizon doesn't use a SIM. They and Sprint are on a backwards ass system called CDMA. No SIM cards and you have to use the roaming plan if you go anywhere else in the world. You can't just drop a pay as you go SIM in. Be lucky that you don't have this ridiculous nonsense in your country.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

Verizon has no SIM... they are CDMA.

iPhone is GSM so you can only use either AT&T or T-Mobile.
    AT&T has microSIM available to purchase and just pop them into those unlocked phones from Canada.
    T-Mobile has no microSIM and you have to get the normal SIM and cut them yourself.

WIth AT&T, you will get 3G, with T-Mobile you will only use it with EDGE

No there isn't any software changes that's needed. I've been using unlocked phones for all my life and all you need to do is to pop the SIM card in.
    You might need to edit some APN if you're using T-Mobile but I will leave that to the expert.

9. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Or check my ebay listing and ill ship it to you. Not using the site to sell just offering. PM and ill let you know the item numbers. I have 2x 16gb available, both unlocked.

Thanks
    AE

10. yfedin macrumors newbie

aelalfy, how can I contact you? I did not find PM functionality on this site...

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

On their post, click on their name when logged in - should drop down a menu including "Send a PM".

12. jon08 macrumors 65816

Can sb tell me if one has to pay any customs fee or any fee whatsoever if you were to receive an iPhone shipped from sb in Canada?

13. yfedin macrumors newbie

I was also looking for that kind of link, though found only the following items on that menu:
    • View Public Profile
    • Find More Posts by Rajani Isa
    • Add Rajani Isa to Your Buddy List

Perhaps I get the right to send PMs only after some definite number of posts on the forum... (this is my second one)

14. yfedin macrumors newbie

Join to this question.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Are iPhones readily available in the Apple Store?

I have vacation days coming up in 2 weeks and I'm thinking about flying ($330 round trip) from NYC to Toronto to pick up to 2 unlocked 32GB iPhone 4s. There are 2 stores within 15 minute drive of the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Anyone know how the stock is in Toronto?