Buying an unlocked iPhone from USA...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 124151155, Oct 4, 2008.

1. 124151155 macrumors regular

Hello everybody.
    I am from Australia, my father is going on a business trip to USA next week and I'm thinking of getting an unlocked iPhone from USA to bring back and use in Australia...
    So I want to know a few things... first off is how much will I be spending? I heard reports on people buying an iPhone with a plan then terminating the contract, because that is less expensive than buying it unlocked. The iPhone brags a low cost of $199, but I assume that is just the common price you pay for the unit when purchased with a plan, right?
    Really, I just want to know either where is the cheapest place in USA that an unlocked iPhone can be purchased, and if there is a cheaper was again by terminating the contract or cheating the system somehow...
    Either the 8GB or 16GB model.

Thanks =]

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

eBay.

You'll only be able to get a first-gen iPhone or a 3G that you can eventually hardware unlock.

You can't actually BUY an unlocked iPhone in the U.S.A.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My brother just bought a v1 iPhone unlocked (T-Mobile did the unlock) in Hawaii on CL for T-Mobile, for $275 8GB, and he dropped his T-Mobile SIM card in it and transferred his contacts over, but had to wait 24 hours for EDGE network to kick-in, but ran his WiFi in the meantime. No Visual Voicemail, but all the other extras work just fine. T-Mobile rep even walked him through the process of switching everything over from his V3 Razor. Data Plan was $20 and he got the unlimited TM plan. He seems happy, but I can tell he wanted a 3G, though his contract with T-Mobile doesn't end for another 9 months...

4. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You can buy an iPhone unlocked over there in Australia, this makes no sense dude!

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you mean truly unlocked, for any GSM service, then your only option is a first gen iPhone, and most likely ebay would be the place to find it

If you just mean contract free to use with your service in Australia, then just buy one there and cancel your contract after a month