Buying and reselling iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cergman, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I was thinking that I could purchase broken activation locked/water damaged/bad esn iPhone 5s' from eBay and take them to apple and get them replaced for the OOW fee. Then o would be able to sell the phone on eBay as new(apple refurbished) and make quite a bit of profit. The main thing stopping me from doing so is I am worried that apple can tell if an esn is bad or activation lock I sensed. So can they? Any phones that I brought for repair would not be able to turn on.

2. BruiserB, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

BruiserB macrumors 65816

Buying and reselling iPhones

They will determine the serial number of the phone and won't replace if it is locked/blacklisted. I do know one way to determine serial number even if phone won't turn on. Not sure exactly all measures Apple will take to get confirmation. My iPhone 4 was damaged but still worked and they were able to verify that I had unlocked it legally through ATT so my replacement refurb phone also unlocked. Not sure what they would do with a water damaged or smashed screen phone.....you would probably need to know apple credentials for the person who owned the phone.

3. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I know they will get the serial number, but can they tell the status of activation lock by the serial alone?

4. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I would bet money on yes.....otherwise thieves would just smash every phone they stole and do what you suggest.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes they can. And if you don't go to icloud and release/remove the device from the lock status they will not accept it.
    Sorry, your plan kinda failed:D
    But at least you run it by us before you spend the time and money and then get stuck with useless devices.

6. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Thanks guys!
    I would be really bummed if I invested the money and couldn't even get a replacement. Oh well, seemed too easy to work. Just thought I'd check.