Buying and Upgrading in store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jblack4083, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I wanted to know if I go into the Apple store and buy my laptop, will they be able to upgrade my HD to the 160Bg 7200RPM drive? Has anyone done this? I hear for upgrades it takes about an hour or two but will they have the 160Gb 7200's in stock?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Doubt it. Not for a MBP. For a MacBook, maybe, I don't know if they stock HDDs. RAM is the usual upgrade and Mac Pro video cards.

3. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Dam i can only get the 2.2GHz but i want that 160Gb HD. If i cant get the 7200 then I'll take the 5400 i dont really mind. Hopefully they can do at least that for me. Do you think they will

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

They either upgrade HDDs or they don't. The MBs are user accessible. The MBPs are not. Whether the stores stock them is the first thing, and whether the techs there do that upgrade is the other. CALL THEM.

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I don't think they upgrade the hard drives in store. They may have pre-configured models available though.

But online the waiting time for a 7200rpm hard drive is 4-6 weeks so I doubt it will be available in store.

6. dex22 macrumors regular

For a macbook, it makes no sense to have apple do it in store.

A 160GB laptop drive is less than $100 at retail. Why pay premium to Apple?

7. scott85213 macrumors member

So you don't lose applecare :rolleyes:

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

usually they have better equipped models in the store already.

does anybody know what MBP and what MB configurations they have in the apple stores?

10. newmacmom macrumors member

I did not do a store upgrade

last time because they let me know that the store upgrades are more costly than the online ones.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

they told me that they charge 35 bucks for putting the ram in. on top of their higher prices on ram. thanks, but no thanks.

it's different if you have the edu discount. there it may be only a few bucks more to get a better configuration. but only if it's a configuration they already have in stock.

12. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully they have upgraded models in the store. I called Apple Fifth Ave they said they don't do upgrades in the store at all and I would have to go online. If I have to go online this could pose a problem :( . I'm going to call SoHo and see if they upgrade in the store. I asked before while in the store and they said they would be able to upgrade my MacBook if i bought it. Hopefully they'll do a Pro