Buying another video card VS using dual out on one card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kenyabob, Aug 10, 2007.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

I recently added a second display to my setup, so now I have two twenty inch displays. The machine is a bit older (it's the original powermac g5 with dual 2s) and so I decided to buy the ATI 9200 PCI card used for about seventy bucks. The only problem is, Quartz Extreme is not enabled on the card and so things run a bit slowly on my second display, especially video. But, my computer shipped with a 9600 Pro, and it has both a DVI and an ADC out.

Here's my question, will I get better performance using two video cards, one being the pci card that runs without quartz, or would it be to my advantage to go get an ADC to DVI adapter and simply run the two displays off one video card? Can the 9600 pro handle that load?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS I'm not gaming or doing anything like that. The most intensive stuff I do is some complex work in Adobe CS and maybe some movies I play in Miro or VLC.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have a dual 1.8 with the stock 9600. I used to run a 20" and 17" CRT with that card. It went pretty good, but I used it for webdesign. If you're doing just 2D work, it will be fine. Else, get the best card you can get (X800 AGP) and run a dual setup from that. The 9200 is just underpowered, especially with a PCI bus. Also one thing to consider: when using one card for both displays, everything on the card is split in half. The card has to dedicate one half to one monitor. So when gaming, or doing other intensive stuff, pull out the connector at the back of the card of the second display, else your Mac will still see it if there where 2 displays connected. Even disconnect the adapter!!