buying appelcare off ebay - advise please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Sep 28, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to buy applecare off of ebay, but I wanted to know if there's anything I should watch out for. For instance, I found one auction that's selling applecare for 123. That seems to good to be true. He's a power seller but that price is so much cheaper then what apple sells I'm concerned.

Basically, when I buy software, its easy for me to spot piracy, say for CS4 because the price is so cheap its a pirated version. Applecare is a little different.

My concern is getting it, registering it, but then when I need it, I find out its bogus.

Thoughts, advice, recommendations.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I honestly believe there are numerous threads on this matter and more importantly a huge thread on this matter alone. Frankly, if you are really worried then you need to find a seller who will ship you the box as that is the proof of purchase.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My best advice is to search the forum, since there are dozens of threads on this topic, with hundreds of responses:
    Picture 11.jpg

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Def. read some of the other threads (there's a huge one that gets frequent replies to it) because neither making sure "the price seems about right" nor the eBay member being a "Power Seller" are guarantees at all that you won't get a bogus activation code that works fine for now, but may have issues a year or two down the road (way, way after your buyers rights with either your credit card, PayPal, or via eBay have long since expired).

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the info. I found that thread about buying applecare on ebay here thread

I also came across this ebay link

To that end, my initial thought of too good to be true seems to be valid. The applecare I found is electronic only and there's no serial number that I'd get to confirm that that the applecare code is valid.

To that end, I'll buy applecare from amazon. Cheaper then apple, but at least its from a reputable source.