Buying Apple Care- attempting inspection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sine90°, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sine90° macrumors newbie

sine90°

Hi,
    I've tried searching this and could not find any answers.

I'm trying to buy apple care for my mac book pro.
    It's nearly a year old, so I have to buy apple care soon.

I'm trying to buy it from my school computer store and they are trying to force me to give them my computer so they can inspect it before they allow me to buy apple care. I want to buy it from this store because I get student discounts.

When I was told this I thought it was kinda crazy. I was under the assumption that people can buy it online and just register it themselves. I've never heard of a required inspection.

Is this true? If you can link me with proof that would be nice.
    Thanks

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

You buy AppleCare yourself, you dont need someone to inspect for you in order for you to receive the product. Thats just bull. You could just buy it from apple.com or amazon.com and you'll receive code in box in the mail and activate it yourself.
    Dont know why your school is making you inspect it first, although it could be a good thing since they could tell you if itll even be worth it (e.g. dent on the side that could void warranty, lcd cracked, etc)

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

and if you buy it from apple's store, you can go the education route and unless that store you're talking about is offering something different, it should be the same price.

i'd buy it online then tell the store to go screw themselves. it's not like it's THEIR warranty...it's apple's.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

the easiest way is just to call 1800APLCARE and just have them add it over the phone for you.. they will give you the same education discount... if you really want the cd that comes with the actual retail box you can just go to https://support.apple.com/techtooldeluxe/main?id=dl and put your serial number after getting it over the phone