Buying apple care plus on ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Am3r1ca16, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

My 1 year warranty fur my rmbp is about to expire in a week or so and I want to buy apple care plus.
    This seller on ebay is seeking it for $175 and it comes wrapped and unopened. He does not email the code like most scammers do. And has 100% feedback.

My only question is that I bought this rmbp second hand so I'm not the original owner. And I've heard you need to submit proof of purchase when you try to activate the apple care plus. Like a receipt for example. Is this true?

Thanks

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

do not buy applecare on ebay.

there is a good chance that the code in the shrink-wrapped package is hacked. shrink wrapping packages costs nothing these days. what that means is the code works when you register the apple care. that's why the guy gets tons of positive feedback. however a few month later when the code is used again by a legitimate buyer from the apple store apple will cancel your apple care because it's fake.

the other guy who bought it from apple has the receipt to prove it and you have a printout from an ebay receipt. good luck with that.

and by then your paypal buyer protection is expired and you left positive feedback for the scammer. this has been going on for years now. im surprised it still works.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'm from the Island (Northport). And a longtime Mac owner. First, spelling? Ouch. :mad:

Next, use Google and these forums. B&H Photo (in the City) is one of the two best (read: cheapest) internet portals to buy AppleCare for a MacBook. Fsck eBay for AC. B&H or Amazon will get your AC for your Macbook in 1-2 days, no questions necessary.

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

The fear mongering is complete BS. I've purchased codes from resellers on Amazon and eBay with never a problem. You don't need a receipt to register Applecare. I have had 5 MBPs now and never paid full retail on the Applecare. I've had multiple claims. If you have a reseller with a huge amount of positive feedback I'd bet it's safe. I'm sure there are scammers out there, but I don't believe a blanket statement "don't buy on eBay." I'd guess anyone who says "don't" here never has done it. I have, and have come out WAY ahead on cost.

Or.....pay way more than you should and buy direct from Apple.

5. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I bought applecare on ebay. I even told apple I bought it from ebay when I registered it over the phone.

I'm not saying people won't have problems but if you do just raise a case with ebay/paypal and you'll get your money back.

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

The problem is that a lot of the people who have had problems did not know for a long time, certainly too long for Ebay or Paypal to help them.

There were some lengthy threads where people posted first hand experiences. The code registered fine, but when it was time to get support Apple asked for proof that they purchased from an authorized reseller. The Ebay with no box route didn't fly. But now it's maybe a year down the road. It also explains why positive feedback on Ebay isn't all that helpful here.

7. Ardmanz macrumors regular

Mine came fully packaged and shrink wrapped.

I registered it online but my account hadn't updated saying it had been authorised a week later so I called apple, they asked where I bought it from, I said ebay and they said, "yup that's all fine. You're covered till 2017".

Just be sure to call them to double check within a few weeks of registering. If they tell you it's no good, unauthorised seller or whatever then you can just raise a case on ebay and get your money back.

8. antsgeek macrumors newbie

Do not buy Apple Care.

I have purchased Apple Care.A waist of money. I would NEVER recommend Apple Care, based on their poor knowledge base pesonal and their trouble shooting inability. Apple Care seems to train their TEIR 2 well however if you purchase Apple Care you'll always end up with Tier 1. The lowest hanging fruit.of the "genius" bunch !!. Basing it on the answers Tier 1 has provided me on my MacBook Pro.

Do NOT purchase or buy Apple Care. It's a wait of money.

9. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

There are too many reports of scammers on eBay. I stick with Amazon or B&H Photo, as both offer applecare with discount pricing.