Buying Apple Gift Cards on CL

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theturtle, Oct 31, 2013.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hello my wonderful MR family.

Wanted to get your advice on something. Im purchase two gift cards from a person on CL for 900 dollars (value is 100). The pins are unscratched. I will be checking the balance online after verifying that the pins haven't been tampered with.

If the balance checks out, everything is good to go right? He/she somehow won't be able to report it saying it was stolen and leave me out of 900?

2. Ghostbusters macrumors regular

Just don't do it. Too risky. These things are the easiest to scam. Buy gift cards at the Apple Store or online in the iTunes store. Better safe than sorry. Don't say I didn't warn you.

<Thread closed> :cool:

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

and if the gift cards were purchased via stolen credit card and you try to use it they can lock your iTunes account...don't even think of buying via CL

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

buying $900 gift cards on CL

ha ha ha ha ha

there is very little i would consider buying on CL and its all physical items

5. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Well, for starters, selling gift cards on CL is against their policy, just because of the high risk of fraud. Doesn't mean people (including myself) don't do it though... Sometimes there are honest people out there that just don't care for a particular card and would rather have the cash.

For example, I once received a $100 GAP gift card for my birthday. I don't shop there, so I sold it for $80 on Craigslist.

As far as if the gift card was purchased with a stolen credit card, there's no way for you to verify that, or for it to come back and bite you. The credit card company eats that loss, not Apple. Once the card is activated, it's as good as cash.

6. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

The only way I could imagine doing this would be meeting at an Apple Store and using those cards then and there.

7. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Go w the person to an apple store. There ask for a new card w said total of the cards he is selling to you. Get new official card from apple that you know works and pay the guy right there.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if this works, this is the only way I'd do it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, really?
    People never cease to amaze me.:rolleyes:
    Sure, go for it.
    Its only $900

11. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

for that amount, i will never do it. $100 is too much for me what more if it's $900 !!! you sure has a lot of guts and power and heart to do it. i just hope it's not one of those new scams. keep us updated as we want to know the result.

----------

why didn't you check it first before you paid the guy. you could have brought with you your laptop and i am assuming you had with you your phone so you could have checked it also. just too risky for me to even think about it.

12. ElZeus macrumors regular

They were purchased with a stolen CC most likely.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Buy it, but meet at an Apple store and have them transfer the amount to new cards. This is what I did when selling my cards.

14. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Jesus, do you really spend that much on apps? I spend about $5 a month on the app store.

The concern might not be so much the cards themselves. He could be just looking to get someone with $900 cash in their pocket to stick a gun at and take.

Also ask them why he has $900 in iTunes cards. Rich lazy grandparent presents?

If you did decide to do the transaction, bring someone with you, and only meet in a busy commercial area during regular hours.

15. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

Wait, you paid 900 dlls for 100 dlls gift itunes card?:confused:

16. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I know what a rip off SMH:eek:

----------

LOL. Screw that, I'd buy what I wanted to buy first and then only give them the cash for the card when I bought the said item. Then go back later and return it.

----------

LOL. Screw that, I'd buy what I wanted to buy first and then only give them the cash for the card when I bought the said item. Then go back later and return it.

17. DanTSX macrumors regular

That's great, but CL and gift cards are a huge scam problem.

Huge and complex theft rings involved in these.

Bunko squads, fed law enforcement, and banks try to knock them down, but they sprout back up like playing whack-a-mole.

Usually, the end buyer is the one left holding the bag. So buyer beware. You could lose all the $ you put into them.

That is if you are lucky. Unlucky people get a stolen Glock shoved into their ribs, and no gift cards.

18. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good Afternoon MR,

I am sorry for leaving you guys on the edge. Im sure you guys are dying to hear what happened.

Well you guys were right, I was robbed :eek:

Just kidding hah. I made sure to be extra careful so I asked him to meet me at a Apple store and to buy ipads with the gift cards (which i would then return) so I can verify they are legit and that nothing fishy would happen once he leaves with my cash.

He was a very cool guy. Actually meeting him up today to purchase another 500. So I would have spent 1320 for 1500. At least I can purchase a laptop if I so choose ha. :p

edit:
    Forgot to mention how he gets them. He explained that his company gives them the gift cards as a award/incentive once they meet their sales goals. When i asked why he would have three, he laughed and said he actually purchased the other two cards from his coworkers so he could resell (He said he buys them for 400 ((his ad said 480 firm but I was able to work him down to 440 each))

19. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

10 percent off is the starting point on negotiations for gift cards. It's insulting to think someone will buy a $500 gift card for $480.

20. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I met a guy who was selling a 800 gift card for 790. :rolleyes:

21. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Hmm.. well I'll give you $450 cash for $500 cash. Since 10% is what you'd prefer.

22. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

'Insulting' seems a little strong. A "free" $20 is a free $20. 10% would be nice, but if I knew I was going to use the whole $500 gift card, I wouldn't be opposed to saving $20 and buying it for $480.