Buying Apple in Egypt

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mugrim, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mugrim macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently living/traveling in Egypt until September 2010. About a month ago, my beloved MBP was stolen from my apartment. The criminal masterminds responsible managed to ignore the two spare batteries and drop my MagSafe on their way out, so they got a password-protected paperweight with maybe one hour of battery life.

Obviously, I need a new laptop. I do a lot of photo processing, and the mid-2008 MBP I had was truly the best computer I've ever owned. So, I'd like to get a new one, but I'm finding it difficult to determine exactly what my options are.

1. Does Apple even ship to Egypt? They say they have 2-3 Day Intl. Shipping on the Apple Store website, yet also say they can't ship to addresses out of the US.
    2. Would it be remotely cost-effective to have a laptop sent to my permanent address, and have someone fedex/dhl it to me? I've heard horror stories of 30-40% taxes on imports, and the thought of paying nearly $1,000USD in taxes is making me balk. Considering how I want to insure the package, low-balling the value isn't really an option.
    3. Can anyone recommend a retailer in Egypt that DOESN'T inflate prices substantially? I found appleline.eg, and the 2.66 ghz MBP costs nearly $400 USD more than what it would in the US.

So, is there a solution here, or am I screwed until I get back? Advice would be appreciated.

2. greg0rn macrumors member

Fly out for little holidays to perhaps Dubhai or so and get one there. Not a biggie in my opinion.

3. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I'm looking at three possible options available to you right now.

1) Order it from the US, either direct or via somebody reposting it through you.
    The problem as you stated is the very real risk of being hit withimport dutys more then wiping out any savings you might make over not buying locally.
    Also, you need to add the cost of Fedex / UPS and insurance to your final cost if you order it from the US, which will probably add another $100-150. And that's before any Duties, and believe me if it come is via Fedex / UPS you will be charged.

If someone can hand carry it to you, then it may be reasonable, as Customs usually does not ask if you are carrying just one laptop when you walk of a flight as they assume it is for personal use.

2) Buy it locally in Egypt. Try some of the other authorised retailers like Tradeline. They might be able to offer you a better deal. Also remember you are in Egypt. Bargaining is always a possibility and expected and is likely to get you a discount or at least a few freebies. I've only seen their store at the Dandy Mall, but the selection looked reasonable. Buying locally also means that you will have it immediately for the price you negotiate, and will not be hit by any surprises. You'll also get better support if you need it.

3) Either go to Dubai for a weekend to buy it or have someone coming from their pick it up for you. While Dubai prices are not as low as US prices, the City (Not Duty Free) prices should be better then Egypt. Now if you need to make a extra trip just for this, You'll need to add that cost to your total cost so it'll jack up the price quiet a bit.

4. mugrim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. It seems like getting someone to carry one over for me is the best bet, as I can't really afford to fly to Dubai. I dunno how much I'd be able to bargain someone down at a retail place, as the price for a 15" 2.8 ghz MBP is 16,699 LE (roughly 3,000 USD), or $700 above what it's retailing for in the US. That, and I'm also 3 hours away from Cairo, and would have to figure in the costs of getting there... Guess I'd better start finding more expat friends who go back and forth regularly.

Mish biheb de!

5. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

That's probably going to be the best option.

One additional possibility is that if someone is going to / coming from Lebanon, prices of Mac's are pretty reasonable there.

I was in Beirut in August, and saw a Current gen 15" for around $2100, which while a little more expensive then the US, is still better then Local Egyptian prices.

6. red42 macrumors regular