Buying Apple replacement parts. Is this a legit place?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wes1731, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Wes1731 macrumors newbie

I stumbled across a website called appleowner.com. It sells Apple replacement parts for pretty much everything. So I was putting in an order for a new iPod Video back panel (because mine is pretty scratched up) and the item costs $0 and the shipping also costs $0. It does, however, say that i need to pay for any duty tax because this shipment is coming from China. Do you think this place will display how much I payed for the item, or how much the item is actually worth on the shipping tag thing (it can't actually be $0)? Just looking for your opinions in this. Not sure if this is the right place to post this either.

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

I've got to say the way it's styled to look like a rip-off of an apple store isn't that encouraging. A whois lookup says it started in 2006 but the address or phone number given doesn't look promising. I'd recommend looking for your product on ebay - a quick search for "ipod back replacement" came up with several hits.

3. Wes1731 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

www.ifixit.com is a great place for Apple repair parts too, especially since they have a guarantee. But this other place seems too cheap.

5. AppleOwner macrumors newbie

We ar busy to update all the price in our store, If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us for the $0: mac@mac.ec

6. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

I agree, this looks very dubious

7. AppleOwner macrumors newbie

8. HKChigger macrumors newbie

If you take a look at the above link you can see they have three offices. I have been to one of them and it is 100% legit. I have personally purchased a macbook from them and numerous parts.

(Sorry for late reply, but just wanted to correct the information in case anyone searches it)

9. stevo8 macrumors 6502