Buying Applecare after the first 90 days???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myke323, Jun 8, 2007.

1. myke323 macrumors regular

So I just found out that if you purchase Applecare after the first 90 days (but before 12 months), it will extend the repair coverage to 3 years, but it won't reactivate any kind of telephone support. Isn't the repair coverage less useful without the phone coverage to go along with it; I mean don't you usually have to call first and go through phone support before they will resort to repair coverage?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nonsense. AppleCare provides with you with phone support as well regardles of when it is purchased. Of course, you do need to purchase it before the one year hardware warranty expires.

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

myke323, what are you talking about, your post is kind of confusing and all over the place.

You get 90 days phone and repair as part of your purchase. If you buy apple care you get 3 years of phone support and repair from the date you purchased the computer. It is not 3 years plus 90 days, it is simply 3 years from the purchase date.

4. myke323 thread starter macrumors regular

no, you get 90 days phone and 1 year repair as part of the purchase. applecare extends this to 3 years phone and 3 years repair. but, if you buy the applecare after the initial 90 days (but before 1 year), i was told by the apple store that the applecare then only extends the repair to 3 years, but doesn't reactivate the phone support because that already expired. it's really not that complicated what i'm saying.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Ughhh I completely agree, it is not complicated. I found your writing to be confusing, not the particulars of the terms and conditions.

I did, in fact make a mistake by forgetting to include the 1 year component, I apologize on that aspect, but everything else I said holds true. You were given bad information, apple care gives you 3 years of both regardless of the 90 days or 1 year because it is all based on the date of your purchase.

7. lurker777 macrumors newbie

in myke 323s defense, i understood his post completely the first time

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

your perspective is completely welcomed. Anyway, I hope the answer to the question is now clear and that we could shed some light on the matter.

9. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Other people have pointed this out but...

You can purchase the extended coverage anytime within the 1st year, however your complimentary phone support runs out at 90 days (unless you purchase applecare). So buy it!

10. lurker777 macrumors newbie

True, Glad the question got answered in the end:

Activating Applecare at ANY point before the first year extends Repair and Phone support coverage to a total of 3 years

11. myke323 thread starter macrumors regular

12. Rabbleboy macrumors member

Another question who has something to do about thread.
    Can you register your Applecare right after buy - if its bought on applestore?
    Problem is, my mac was bought for a year ago tomorrow! So can I still make it? It says that it will be send within 24 hours, but meh?

Thanks

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

You can if you buy off ebay because most of them will email you the code, you can then login to the apple site, register and be set. I'd email whoever your buying from before hand to make sure they are available for a quick deal and can email you the code today. Good Luck!

14. J DILLA macrumors member

is this a recent change? if i am remembering correctly, when i bought applecare for my powerbook g4 almost 3 years ago, i thought the phone coverage was not part of the extension. i thought they extended it for one year only, not the entire 3 years. perhaps they've changed it, or i am remembering incorrectly.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It shouldn't matter. Once you make the purchase that's all you need. You're not required to have it ordered and enrolled before the one-year.

Ex. If you were to buy online, the day before the one-year and not expecting it to be delivered for another 3 days, as long as you have the proof of purchase before the one year, you are still able to enroll but you would need to call into AppleCare for that.

16. James Cole macrumors 6502

OK so if I get this right I have the 1 year limited apple warranty to buy apple care and extend it to 3 years to a total of 4 years (including the apple standard warranty)

17. J DILLA macrumors member

no
    without applecare = 1 year
    with applecare = 3 years

they do not add together

18. James Cole macrumors 6502

Got it so if I buy apple care at the end of my standard warranty I only get 2 more years... Thanks