Buying Applecare for nMP from Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maplingstorie, Apr 15, 2014.

1. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I'm not sure how the application of applecare works because I usually buy my macs bundled with them from apple online store except this one. I decided to purchase an applecare for my nMP maybe in a few months time (short of cash). I went to Amazon.com and saw this http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...LTNK/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2MX23EIBI0MV3
    I'm really vague about it and would appreciate if you could shed me some light whether why is this cheaper than what Apple sells and also how it is that it says it is used from $150 ? :confused: thanks!

2. monokakata, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

B&H (a completely responsible dealer) has it for $174.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/784688-REG/Apple_S2971LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_Mac.html

There's a vast market for maybe-OK/maybe-not-OK Applecare. There are threads on this site about it.

I wouldn't take a chance. B&H is good. I believe I've seen postings about some west coast outfit that's completely legit and also has good prices.

I see you're in Malaysia, which might complicate things. You really need the box, or at least part of it, and that means international shipping if you buy it in the US.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

+1 on B&H, they'll have (at least) the lowest price for AC and int'l shipping is competitive. They'll ship the box to Malaysia. I'm in OR State in the US, ordered AC from B&H a couple of months ago on a Thursday and the shipping order indicated it would arrive the following Monday - I was surprised when the box showed up that Friday, the next day after I placed my order. I'll buy from them again.

I don't buy "used" AC - I don't even know what that means, honestly. BTW, B&H is closed for a couple of days for Passover.

4. SaSaSushi, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I recently purchased the AppleCare for my Late 2013 iMac on Amazon Japan "used". The seller I bought it from sells new Apple products including AppleCare but in this case the box had been opened and was a little beaten up. I couldn't have cared less about that. The registration card, manual and TechTool DVD were all included. I saved about $40 off the lowest sale price I could find. All of that stuff is just gathering dust on a shelf now anyway. :p

I would say that if an Amazon seller has positive feedback and is selling the retail boxed product then go for it. Sometimes packages get opened without being registered or damaged for whatever reason. I definitely don't recommend buying codes off eBay.

For people in the states I recommend LA Computer. They consistently seem to have the lowest prices around.

I don't think they'll ship internationally though.

5. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

must they ship me the box for me to register?

6. SaSaSushi, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

No, all you need is the number to register it. I see on the details for the Amazon sale you are asking about that the seller writes:

Brand new, sealed in box. I am able to email you the activation code to register your computer if your warranty is about to expire.

That sounds good to me. If I were you, I'd buy it and ask him to e-mail me the registration code and then send the box along to Malaysia by the cheapest surface mail possible. :)

Incidentally, in case you're nervous about it, Amazon has a very good purchase protection policy for transactions with their third party sellers.

Actually, though, you may find that that sale is restricted to only ship to addresses in the US though. You can try to contact him here and ask him if he'd consider opening it up to international shipping.

7. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

ah cool. Cause I just want to extend my warranty if the box isn't affecting anything then I don't mind not having the box here with the seller :p

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, see the last line I just added to my comment above. I think that's a great deal but you may need to contact the seller to see if he'll accept your shipping address or just sell you the number.

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I thought that if there were some problem with the number, that Apple would ask to see the box -- the UPC or other ID, showing that the number matched an actual shipped container. Otherwise, of course, the box is worthless.

I remember this from that long, long thread about buying Applecare on eBay. Of course I could be wrong, but what I took away from that thread was that it was important to have the box with the various codes on it.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I could see where that might happen in a case where there was some question about the validity of a registration. It's a good thing to have just in case.

With their A to Z Guarantee, I still think Amazon's a safe investment.

11. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

For the latest AppleCare box, you won't be needing it to register as the box contains just a brochure and flyer docs. The older Mac Pro AppleCare years ago included a CD Tech Tool Pro Hardware test software. As mentioned by other members here, B&H Photo is a good source for AppleCare. They offer 2 options on purchasing. Shipping you the physical AppleCare box or the option of Online Registration.

12. campyguy macrumors 68030

Thanks for mentioning this, but how does one get a "code"? I've ordered from them several times this year and only get the "box" option from B&H (which I assumed is the only option until you've mentioned it). I've never been presented with the "code" option on checkout. I talked with one of their reps in February and she never mentioned this option. Do tell! I want to buy two more by the end of the month.

13. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hello. I saw this AppleCare page in B&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Apple&N=4291615352&Ntt=Applecare+Mac+Pro+Pro&sts=ma

There are 2 choices, the first choice is Auto-Enroll so I am assuming they send you the code via email upon payment. I have not tried this option yet. Before I purchased a Mac Pro AppleCare from an eBay seller. The seller had the physical sealed boxed and I only asked the seller to open the box for the registration code to be sent by email and registration was successful. The box only had the docs and brochures so I did not need it. To double if the AppleCare was legitimate and genuine, I requested an Apple Service Center to check the registration code from their database and it was legitimate. I usually don't encourage getting AppleCare at eBay due to some scams though I just took a gamble on this transaction.

14. campyguy macrumors 68030

Thanks for the link, however, I think the auto-enroll products are for those who buy an Apple product and Applecare at the same time, which I've done in the past.

To the OP, I owe you an apology - B&H no longer ships Applecare to Malaysia, I've discovered. Evidently there are restrictions in place, and B&H refers buyers to Apple's Malaysian web site. My apologies.

15. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

I'm sorry I was not aware of that process. Probably for the OP, best option is if he has a friend based in the US so the AppleCare may be sent to his friend and later forwarded to Malaysia.