Buying Applecare for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansabakhan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

on ebay i see seller's listing applecare for much less, where they ship you a sealed box (not just emailing you the code). is it safe to buy on ebay? does it matter to Apple if you bought it from authorized dealer or not?

also what is a good place to buy Applecare from on a better price? (other then ebay)

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There was at one point a big Applecare scam on ebay but i would imagine it's ok now.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i think i have seen a discussion about this earlier but if some one is shipping you a sealed box it should be ok right?

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

My guess is that you will be fine, you will be covered by the buyer protection (which nearly always favours the buyer) and I'm sure it will all work out fine.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They can scam you regardless. The potential is there, even if many legitimate offers may exist. I'm assuming the box is shrink wrapped, yet this can be redone.

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i agree, but buyers protection is good for 45 days from the day you receive you item , if its voided by Apple after that you are our of luck !

9. ZipZap, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

ZipZap macrumors 601

You have to buy Applecare from an authorized dealer or Apple could void the coverage.

Note I said could. To me the slight savings is not worth the chance that the coverage will be voided since you got it from a ebay site.

Best deal....Sign up on Fatwallet. Then link over to Adorama.

----------

This is a common misconception. By the time you find out your sunk. Its the same with anything claimed to be authentic on ebay....by the time you know for sure you have already left feedback and you protection has lapsed.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I bought it from ebay last month for my 2011 macbook air, still shrink wrapped (the applecare, not the air). I had to call Applecare to get it activated, they almost acted like they were going to balk at first since I didn't buy it from an apple authorized reseller. They were listing all of the ebay scams as reason for their reluctance.

Knowing then what I know now, I would have bought it from a reseller like B&H.

11. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Why would you leave feedback before checking everything was OK?

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Because your first service (and the real test) will not likely occur in the 45 day feedback window.

This is what eBay sellers of bogus products count on.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem with ebay is that there's so many counterfeit applecares. If the auction/sale does not include the box then the odds are high that it could be counterfeit.

While you'll be able register it initially, if there's any question about your extended warranty apple will ask for the serial number of your applecare which is on the box (this is not the activation code). If you cannot produce it they will invalidate the warranty. Issue can arise because the number is counterfeit and someone with an authentic code that matches your registers it a second time.