Buying Applecare from A Company Other Than Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bulldog3777, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

I have the MBP 13 and LA Computers has it for $180. I was reading reviews on Amazon of Applecare and one person wrote that if you buy it from someone other than Apple you cannot register it on line. He had to fax his receipt from Amazon to the Applecare people. Any comments?? Isn't Amazon and LA Computers authorized retailers?

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Bought mine on eBay for $110 & registered on apple.com with no problems! Don't spend $180, go eBay and save! Lots have and no problems

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Occasionally you will have to fax proof to Apple but this is a rare occurrence. That store is well known and has a history of being reliable, if Apple needs any kind of proof from you (unlikely) I am sure they will provide it.

4. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I've bought applecare for two imacs, 3 iphones, macbook air, & two macbooks on eBay and I never had to fax anything. I just registered it online and that was it..several of those purchases were codes only (no box sent to me) and I didn't have any issues---HOWEVER, I now pay a little extra to buy from an ebay seller that actually mails me the box so I know there won't be any problems.

5. mainomega macrumors 6502

From a previous post ...

"I guess I should elaborate. I purchased AppleCare from a "PowerSeller" on eBay for $200 for one of our 17" MBP on March 2008. I received a sealed AppleCare box and registration on the Apple website went well. About two weeks later I received the official AppleCare letter from Apple validating the coverage.

That 17" MBP had to go through 2 battery replacements, 2 screen replacements, a logic board replacement for the Ethernet port, and a logic board replacement for the nvidia 8600. The last problem we had was when the screen they replaced developed weird colors for the bottom 1/3 of the screen. At that point it was agreed they would replace it.

They send a new 17" MBP. Seeing as I had purchased it in 2008 I had plenty of AppleCare coverage left, so they said I could cancel AppleCare and use the credit towards the purchase of a new plan. I sent all my information to the department I was told to but once they saw it was purchased on eBay they said that the original AppleCare was not valid.

On one hand they serviced the original machine plenty of times with the AppleCare coverage and they ended up replacing the MBP with a new one because they couldn't fix their mistakes. So I am happy I have a new MBP that is working fine but I'm disappointed because it now means I have to shell out $349 to buy AppleCare from them directly as I have a feeling they will check the validity of the AppleCare plan if I have any issues with the new MBP. So I essentially paid $200 (ebay AppleCare) so they would correct their mistakes and replace the machine.

Having said that, I'm sure AppleCare purchased from eBay will be fine for most warranty work performed by their service centers but when it comes to "big" issues you might have some trouble."

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hmm... I was actually just going to buy AppleCare for my uMBP on ebay, as it's £115GBP, and Apple sells it for £273, I'm kind of weary about buying it from them now :eek:

EDIT : I also just looked on Amazon UK, they have MacbookPro applecare on there for £149. Does anyone know if this will still be 100% valid with Apple? I don't mean just registering, but I mean whatever happens whether it will stay 100% valid.

7. mainomega macrumors 6502

Amazon is an authorized retailer so it will be ok.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I just had another look through, and it's actually being sold by a 3rd party, but on amazon's site. Will this still be valid?