Buying AppleCare from ebay??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eliminator, Apr 16, 2010.

1. eliminator macrumors newbie

Im in Canada, and looking to buy applecare for my iphone and my new 13" mpb when it arrives. Is there disadvantage of buying applecare from an ebay seller? They say that the waranty is international and doesnt matter if you're outside of the usa. Does apple frown upon ebay applecare sellers? Has anyone had any problems either activating their policy or doing a waranty claim?

thanx

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I can't believe I'm typing this, but do a quick forum search. There's a huge thread somewhere here on all the pitfalls.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Was I more surprised this thread happened or that spinnerlys responded.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I spend too much time picking on everybody else who types "do a search" :p

5. CoolMJR macrumors newbie

I tried the ebay Apple care for my new MBP 2.66 i7 antiglare and it worked like a charm. I would say go for it. ;)

6. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Then perhaps you too should read the above mentioned thread, because its not always immediate that you realize you have been had.

7. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I've bought Apple Care on ebay on at least 3 occasions, the most recent of which was about 9 months ago and have not had any problems. I've also had repairs done under this Apple Care cover.

My advice, make sure the seller has good feedback and has been around for a long time. Preferably get the box too - though at least one of mine was just the code.

I've bought MobileMe subscriptions too, never had a problem.

If you read that thread, lots of people there stated they've never had a problem. It's so much cheaper than buying full retail price, that even with the odd scam it probably works out a lot cheaper in the long run!

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I have to get applecare before the 1 year is up on my wife's MacBook Air. I'm looking on ebay and seems I can do it for $100ish ignoring bing cashback and mrrebates.com (<- if this works, I just tried it out for the first time). The one year warrany expires 4/22/2010 so I pretty much have to make my purchase today

9. thecheda macrumors 6502

Search

Please use search. Don't buy Applecare from Ebay.

10. str8bucs macrumors regular

I have gotten 3 from ebay and no problems @ all:D