buying applecare on ebay, how is this possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacNoob, Apr 20, 2010.

1. iMacNoob macrumors member

I don't understand, how do people sell applecare on ebay?

Is it safe? I'm in Canada, do I have to buy a localized applecare for Canada?

For a macbookpro 15", apple care is a WOPPING $399.

So 1849 + 150 for best scree = 2K + 399 = 2.4K + 13% to uncle sam, this aint' cheap!

The good thing is I can sell for like 800-1K after 3 years....

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. jdaniel, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

jdaniel macrumors 65816

rubbish I have bought from ebay before with no issues. Just as usual make sure you are bying from a legit seller, pay with a credit card, use paypal. that way your ass is covered....

here is a link to who i bought from you might wanna message him.

Check out my ebay listings at the following link:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/macman812_W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_sopZ10?_rdc=1

But like i said, ebay/paypal/credit card ALWAYS. that way if anything screws up just call your credit card company for an easy charge back... use bank account to pay good luck dealing with paypal.

4. lovebugtimme, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

lovebugtimme macrumors newbie

Be very careful buying from this seller. We purchased what we thought was a great deal only to have the iMac crash 11 months after we bought it. We took it to Apple and they found third party RAM in the computer. His comment when we complained, "I never said it was Apple"! He refuses to reimburse us for junk when we paid for Apple.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would suggest that you not buy applecare from anyone who just sends you a code in the mail. I think a lot of these are scams from people that generate codes after cracking the algorithm. The codes will register fine with Apple... but may be denied later on.

I think it is probably OK to buy from someone who sends you the sealed box... but I am not 100% sure.

Personally... I generally buy applecare from Apple at time of purchase. If you qualify for an educational discount, it is usually priced fairly well.

/Jim

6. Jazwire, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

The same way people sell designer clothing for cheap on Ebay.

It's not real.

Unless you get the box, its fake.
    I dont care if the person has 2 million positive feedback since 1912 its a fake code.

"But like i said, ebay/paypal/credit card ALWAYS. that way if anything screws up just call your credit card company for an easy charge back... use bank account to pay good luck dealing with paypal."

Are you smoking crack? Good luck charging anything back after 45 days with Paypal and 60-90 day with a credit card. Especially with Paypal , since no item is ever shipped, it is considered a virtual transaction. Paypal doesnt offer any protection. You have a better chance hauling a bag of snowballs across the Sahara dessert without melting than getting a refund if something goes wrong.

7. vpndev macrumors 6502

another source

I have bought about six AppleCare packages from L.A. Computer Company. They do send you the box and I have never had an issue with them.

Not related to them in any way - just a satisfied customer
    http://www.lacomputercompany.com/

8. Blair230 macrumors regular

Count me in as another satisfied ebay applecare user. I bought it for my imac in late 2008 and it still is valid.

I have heard horror stories but also have spoken with many people who were fine as well.

I would say to just be cautious but not advise against buying it

This is not true. I never received a box and my applecare is still fine. Not fake. In fact I have used it twice.

9. Blair230 macrumors regular

Third Party RAM does not equate to junk. Even Apple RAM can go bad. In fact Apple RAM is not manufactured by them, it's a reputable company (for a time they used Samsung..not sure who it is now). Most resellers do use third party RAM (especially for upgrades).

Unless you specifically stated you wanted OEM Apple RAM in your machine, he did nothing wrong. I am sorry you had problems with your mac but there is no reason for him to take the machine back.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You do not know that. If the eBay seller illegally generated a "valid" passcode.... Apple will know as soon as someone else enters the same passcode that was ligitimately issued by Apple. At that point, Apple would ask you for your proof of purchase, and the original card with the passcode.

I agree with the poster who said that in all likelyhood... if you buy a code on eBay... then you are probably getting a counterfiet. Personally... I would rather spend a little more and get it from Apple... that way there is no question of its validity. Since I qualify for a student/educator discount... the difference in price is minor.

/Jim

11. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

If I download a key generator for Photoshop and then sell you a registration code for $100 and it happens to work for the next five years, that don't make it a legit copy either.

Maybe just maybe you actually bought your copy from a guy who legitimately bought a single copy and for whatever reason didnt use it and sold you a code.

However the people that sell these by the hundreds and thousands are fraudulent.

12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

At the least you need to get the original box, not just a number. What, the seller can't find it or doesn't want to send it? How convenient!

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Apple has changed their policy?

there have been several threads recently with people saying Apple has changed their registration policy for Applecare due to all of the scams.

from one of them;

another thread

and another

It looks like Apple is cracking down so be careful about what you're buying

14. Blair230 macrumors regular

The fact is you do not know. It is not fair to say all ebay sellers of applecare are fraudulent. With a little research, you can make a legit purchase.

Maybe I did buy it from a legitimate seller. If all these sellers are fraudulent, why does only a small amount (compared to the number sold) have issues? When people start using qualifiers as "all" and "every" seller on ebay sells fraudulent applecare, it really rings false.

15. Macman812 macrumors newbie

I am curious who this is, there has never been a time when a customer of mine had a problem that apple couldn't solve that I did not take care of.
    Please message me or private message me with your info and i will take care of this.
    Thanks
    Brian

16. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

When buying applecare this is the one purchase you don't want to mess around with expensive and all you never know when you may need it. Best to spend the money and get what you pay for. At least have a clear idea of who your getting it from. Buyer beware!

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... best answer given ... Apple is indeed onto all these illegal codes

18. MacHamster68, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

there are even sellers on ebay who sell apple care for my eMac's from 2006 :eek: should i take the gamble its a sealed box apple care , so actually valid or not.... , just kidding i know its not valid any more
    but i wonder how many buy it only to find out that you cant have apple care after the Mac is already 4 years in use

get apple care from one of the big resellers of apple products or direct from apple , it might be a bit more expensive , sure, but still cheaper then buying it at ebay and find out after the Mac breaks down in 12month that its not legitimate and you had been scammed,
    as there is no way to get your money back after that time from ebay or anyone else , so you are left with a broken Mac and a huge bill for repair

19. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

This is sort of off original topic of Apple Care but important so I thought I would share it. Most of us here use USB flash drives. Kingston is one of many mfgs. They told me to check on the chrome part to see if a serial number is engraved on it. If not it is counterfeit. I have seen many flea bay scammers selling 128gb and 256gb flash drives for a hundred bucks. Since the market price for a 256gb USB flash drive by Kingston is around 800 dollars, this is just too good to be true.

I have written many of these sellers and inquired about the engraved serial number. They tell me since it is a sealed package they do not know if it has an engraved serial number. So that tells me to run the other way fast and don't look back.

Since there is only one way to know for sure if they are selling legit or counterfeit flash drives, I decided to buy one. Yep it is counterfeit and failed within the first week. No engraved serial number. PayPal was useless in getting my money back. Even when I gave them evidence from Kingston that the goods were counterfeit. The seller is still on selling these knock off drives.

I would recommend buying from Amazon or Buy.com for these flash drives. Not a third party reseller.

20. MacHamster68, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

another word to the ebay scams ,just keep in mind where people are trading , and money is made ,there will be scammers after the quick cash

and no
    if i list a sealed box apple care for a bondi iMac g3 from 1997 , then it's not a scam ,

but if i promise in my listing that you can register it with apple and get 2 years extended warranty then thats a scam

because at apple they would break out in laughter if you want to register apple care for a computer thats already since over 10 years out of production