Buying Applecare on eBay.... is it safe yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, Dec 28, 2009.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy AC for my MBP in the next couple days, and I don't feel like dropping the $239 or whatever for it, especially with college classes coming up. But, I saw on eBay many sellers have them for sale for about $100 less.

I remember reading a thread on here a long time ago about how, I guess, sellers would "deactivate" your code after it was too late to change your feedback for the seller. Thus, it looks like they're great sellers, but they're just reusing the code over and over.... or something like that. :p

Anyway, is it safe now? Or am I still getting myself into heaps of headaches?

Is there a particular seller we know is legit?

Thanks!

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

For my last computer I bought AC on eBay for like $130 and had no problem registering it. I paid a little more to get a seller that sold it with the box so I got mine shrink wrapped. I had no problem using my warranty and Apple actually refunded the difference of what was still left in my warranty when I had to get my computer replaced! :D

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Buy sealed boxes from reputable sellers only.

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

depends on the seller. just be smart look for feedback and if in doubt, don't buy. also buy using your credit card link to your paypal.

i used amazon for my $55 mobileme account so you save a lot of money using these sites.

5. nuke123 macrumors newbie

You can get a good deal depends on seller like mentioned. Make sure they have good feedback and look at feedback of them selling same item [​IMG]

6. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Those saying to check the feedback obviously haven't read the other threads about this scam. The problem is you get the AppleCare, register it, and all seems well. So you leave the seller positive feedback... only to find out 6 months later that your AppleCare is null and void for a multitude of reasons. You have already left positive feedback for the seller and its long past the time frame to do anything about being ripped off. So feedback on AppleCare via ebay can be very misleading.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

8. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I'd checkout lacomputercompany.com for AC. They usually have specials and/or discounts.

You might 'save' money on eBay but not worth the risk when you take your MBP in for service and find you don't have AC and have to pay for the repairs.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't see how it is suddenly safer now. If you are smart, you can be fine. If you don't do research - you could be asking for loads of trouble.

11. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Get it boxed and get it from an authorized retailer. Unfortunately once you meet those requirements you're paying retail price (unless you get it from EDU). Even Apple's own system will accept a serial until it gets audited (?/screened) and then you'll have some explaining to do. Since you are buying applecare for piece of mind just pony up the cash and hope that you break even or come out ahead. You might even get a new machine out of it.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Buying Applecare on eBay.... is it safe yet?"

Buying an AppleCare (registration number only) through ebay will NEVER "be safe", because it is a scam, plain and simple.

If you want "safe" AppleCare, buy a boxed copy through a legitimate dealer such as amazon.com or L.A. Computer Company.

Otherwise, you'll get what you pay for.

14. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Just buy it with the education discount. You'll be paying about $20 more than a sealed box on eBay but its worth the peace of mind.