buying applecare *separately*?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljova.com, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ljova.com macrumors member

hi guys,

does Applecare have to be purchased at the same time / at the same retailer / as the original computer?

I'm most likely buying the C2D 13" MacBook Pro today , and while the price on MacMall is good ($1159), another retailer is selling AppleCare for $189.

Since AppleCare won't get any better if I spend $60 more on it, I just wanted to make sure it's legit to buy it separately. Everything seems to confirm it so far.

Fwiw, my 3.5 year old MBP just clocked in at 43 minutes on battery, even though I had it replaced 2 years ago. I'm really skeptical that the 10-hour battery will last 10 hours, but even if it lasts 5 hours two years later, I'll be happy.

Thanks,
    L

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

No, you can sign up for AppleCare at any time during the 1-year stock warranty.

3. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

You have until the original warranty runs out. That is, you have to purchase it before one year has elapsed. That's about all the restriction there is. You can purchase it from Apple, or whoever.

4. hypermog macrumors regular

Make sure that you buy Applecare from an Apple Authorized Reseller, even if you buy a key from a non-authorized-reseller that registers correctly on Apple's site, it may not be legit. Google or MRoogle it if you don't believe me.