Buying Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AcesHigh87, Nov 5, 2011.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've never bought applecare for my mac before (just never bothered on my macbook) but when I got my iMac back in August I figured I could just ask for the extra warranty for Christmas. Well now it's time to get on that list making and I find myself wondering how much information do retailers need in order for someone to purchase applecare?

As I said, I've never bought applecare so I don't know how it works. When you buy it do they need your serial and stuff or do you register it online after? I just need to know so I can give my parents all the information if any is needed. I imagine all they need to know is that it's applecare for an iMac but I just want to make sure.

2. Liquinn Suspended

All you need is the serial number from the box. If that make sense? :)

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Which box, the one from the iMac?

4. Liquinn Suspended

AppleCare :)

5. Fuith macrumors member

They don't need anything, you register it online afterwards. Everything you need is in the AppleCare box.

6. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My Macbook Pro's warranty is up on November 17th. Applecare is $249 for three years. I would like opinions on purchasing it. I'm concerned about its affordability and it seems like there are too many scammers on eBay to trust them. Please advise.

8. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The way I look at it, paying $250 for the security is worth it. My girlfriend's aunt just had her MBP motherboard die from being dropped (accidental but it can happen) and it would have cost $1700 to replace it so she bought a brand new mac. Would it not be better to pay $250 now and have the peace of mind that if something goes wrong you can get it fixed?

9. interrobang macrumors 6502

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, only defects.

10. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I know but it was just an example. Let's say an HD dies, that's under applecare and would still likely cost (after parts and labour) about as much as applecare costs so it's worth it. Hell, even if the motherboard did go (my example it just happened to be an accident) it would cost the same amount and be covered.

11. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Search around the web.

You can find good discounts without going to eBay. I've dealt with both Provantage and B&H Photo Video. Both have excellent reputations.

Right now, Provantage has this:

http://www.provantage.com/apple-md006ll~7APLW021.htm

If that's the one you need, it's very reasonably-priced.

12. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

Another thing to keep in mind is that Applecare can be purchased with an educational discount if you have one, and it's a very substantial drop in price on a lot of products. $50 bucks off on the desktops, $70 off of the 13" laptops and a massive $110 off on 15" and 17" Macbook Pro.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I bought Applecare for my 2008 MBP and for my 2010 MBA. Your example of the HDD failure was an apposite one, because that is exactly what happened with my MBP when it was two and a half years old and the fact that i had Applecare meant that I was covered.

To my way of thinking, Applecare gives peace of mind for a further two years after the ending of the initial one year warranty, and I strongly recommend that you get it. Don't even think of getting it on eBay; if you are a student, the educational discounts can be pretty good, or else, buy it from someone/someplace reputable. Besides, if you wish to sell the computer in a few years, the fact that you have Applecare makes it a much more attractive purchase from the perspective of a would be buyer.

14. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Applecare will very likely pay for itself and more after a single repair.