Buying AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Angelo921, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Do you guys know if wheres the cheapest website to buy AppleCare for my iphone 4S that I will be getting? I want the original Applecare, not the Applecare+. I see them on ebay but they dont seem cheap there.

thanks
    Angelo

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get the original Applecare on the 4S. I think for the 4S it's only Applecare+.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

I also remember reading in a forum somewhere that you can add regular AppleCare to a 4S, but you obviously have to buy it elsewhere, since Apple only sells AppleCare+ now.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mine is the same as it appears on my other Mac"s and iPads...Applecare but no mention of +

Attached Files:

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Even if it was cheap on eBay, I wouldn't trust purchasing it there. People have gotten scammed buying Applecare for their Macs from people on eBay. I know with Applecare for the phone it's much cheaper, but still it would be risky.

You can try Amazon...looks like someone is selling it for $73. Even then you're taking a risk on whether or not the seller is being honest, though. You might run into trouble when you try to register it, but give it a try if you want.

6. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Why would anyone buy Applecare, what does it cover that we can't fix ourselves for cheaper?

7. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Just go to Apple... If you pay $73 (which is the cheapest that has been mentioned here) you still probably have shipping, which now brings it closer to 80 bucks. You're really gonna risk it not being legitimate for a $20 savings? Take into account now the days you're unprotected while waiting for this to arrive from Amazon. Just go to Apple and buy it. $20 over two years is nothing... a dollar a month. You're gonna risk not being covered for saving a dollar a month?

8. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Why buy Applecare? Are you that reckless with your phones?

Considering the price difference in the cost of Applecare and the replacement fee, you'd have to damage TWO phones in order to save any cash.

And if I'm reading the terms correctly, there's no guarantee you'll get a 'new' 4S if you had to replace it. (Read: Hello, refurb!)

I'd rather take my chances and worst-case-scenario, I'll try an out-of-warranty replacement for $149, which coincidentally, is the same price as your AC+ and the service fee.

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Out of Warranty 4S replacements are $199, so you save money if you break the phone once... $99+$49<$199. The savings is even more if you break two phones. It's not that people are "that reckless"... stuff happens and personally I'd like to be covered if and when that stuff does happen.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Agreed. And it's not always about damage that the user causes, either. Applecare+ gives you a second year of coverage, so if you plan on keeping your phone for more than just one year, that can come in very handy. Home buttons break, phones malfunction... I know a lot of people sell their iPhone every year so they can upgrade, but there's a lot that keep them for the full 2 years (or more).

11. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Also, when selling, a phone still under AppleCare bumps the value of the phone up A LOT... and with AC+ I can only assume it'll sell more if you haven't used any of those Accidental Damage replacements.