buying applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr. buttons, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mr. buttons macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I know this may be a dumb question but...Is it okay to buy AppleCare from Ebay. I just purchased a Macbook Pro and I am trying to save some money as I am now a starving broke college kid. I mean it is a little cheaper than what the apple store gives as a student discount.

Is the AppleCare on ebay totally legit? It might seem that I may run into some complications if I do buy it on ebay.

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Koolio27 macrumors member

From what I've read on these forums, buying AppleCare on eBay is okay as long as has never been opened (i.e., registered to another computer). Although, I have no experience with this nor do I know anyone who has bought on eBay.

When I get my MBP (when are those damn updates happening?!) I'm going to seriously consider buying from eBay.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I've just been wondering the same thing. I bought a refurb and money is tight so I cant afford the £270 apple for applecare!

4. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

The applecare I purchased for my MBP came from ebay and I've used it with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Just make sure the buyer has good feedback and you use good common sense.

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I presume if you used PayPal you'd be covered if it didn't work? So if you combine that with the usual eBay advice (check feedback, check their store to make sure they usually sell these items) then you'd be reasonably safe?

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got mine from eBay. Paid $140, as opposed to $249 from Apple for the Macbook/Macbook Air/iBook version. Well worth the savings.

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

That is what I would be worried about-- that it had already been registered to another computer-- as others have said, go with those who have good ratings and you should be okay

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I bought my AppleCare from a reputable eBay seller in the US and have no problem whatsoever. I got the registration code by e-mail after payment. Just make sure you're dealing with a seller that you can trust (PowerSeller etc.).

P.S. Got mine for $180 (90 quids)