Buying as a gift from Apple store? (hiding price)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leenak, Jun 17, 2012.

1. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm about to buy a MBP for someone but I don't want them to know how much I spent. They know they are getting it and I'm trying to flush out which one they want but I still don't want them to know the price (I get a sizeable discount).

I tried going through the checkout process but didn't complete because I forgot to verify one thing but I didn't see an option for making it a gift other than a 'gift message'.

Is this possible? anyone know?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Once you "flesh" out what they want, they can always go to the website with their new computer and know exactly what you spent. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

But they wouldn't know due to the discount I get. I just don't want the price there because it could cause some conflict. Not by them but by others.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Ship it to your house. Remove the paperwork. Ship it to their house.

5. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

6. hotsauce3868 macrumors member

I just purchased and received a RMBP. I did not recieve an invoice or paperwork of any kind in the box. There was no indication how much I spent. So I think you should be fine as long as you have an apple account that you can print the invoice from so they don't ship one with the unit. But if you're unsure, like above poster said, ship it to yourself then to the individual receiving the gift.

7. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh that is good to know. It isn't that big of a deal but we'll see.

8. pHeNom macrumors regular

9. Aksta macrumors regular

thats what i was thinking after i read this:

10. leenak, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what either of you mean. I'm trying to avoid some family drama. I come from a lower middle class family that is very careful about money in general. I want to do something nice for someone in my family but don't want other people to find out the cost. They'd freak.

And they know I'm buying something, they know I get a discount, I'd just not want an actual number to be shown. I'm fine with ambiguity.