Buying at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hoopdy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

If I bought it at a Apple Store how would I activate it in-store? Could this be a possible way around it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. Stealing it would get you around it. Nothing else works.

3. Hoopdy thread starter macrumors 6502

WTF are you smoking

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

From what's currently being said by Apple/ATT, there's no way around it

5. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

They will most likely have several terminals there to "activate" your phone account. My guess is that it will be the same online activation, only done in store.

6. 103734 Guest

has either apple or att clearly said that there will be in store activations? It seems as if people are only deciphering the vague press release by att and assuming it will be only in store activating.

7. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

but that is press only from at&t. I want to hear from apple as well, especially when his steveness did not mention a subsidy in his keynote.

i don't know...maybe I'm just in denial that I will have to succumb to at&t if I want an iphone. I'm regretting selling my 8GB iPhone...

9. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The conference call with AT&T and Apple clearly indicated that:

1) the iPhone will not be available for purchase online;
    2) the phone MUST be activated in store;
    and
    3) if it is not activated on AT&T within 30 days, because for whatever reason you manage to get away without activating it, the purchaser will be subject to "penalties" which are likely monetary. Purchasing and then canceling the service will now require you to surrender the handset to AT&T. There is no buyout option.

Steve wouldn't have mentioned a subsidy as he undoubtedly wants people to think that $199 is the actual retail price of the phone. Requiring AT&T activation is what indicates it's a subsidized price.

10. Kupe macrumors member

It seems to me you could activate your $200 iPhone, turn around and terminate your contract for $175, then walk away with a $375, PAYG iPhone to use on another network (T-mobile). What am I missing? :confused:

11. elistan macrumors 6502a

You're missing the fact (speculation?) that when you cancel your contract, you have to return the iPhone. If you don't, I suspect there will be some additional fee beyond the $175, perhaps an extra $200, making the total "purchase price" $575.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you can survive any longer, i would just wait and see until what Apple and AT&T say on their websites themselves. It should be interesting none the less, because to do it this way, it's going mess a bunch of other things up.

13. vega07 macrumors 65816

the conference call is just with at&t...correct?

14. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

i know in the UK the carrier for the iPhone (o2) is stating on their website you can purchase the new 3G iPhone online or at one of their stores, but it think this would be like a normal contract then where you can pick what tariff you want to go on and then they will send you the phone out, so then it wont be done through iTunes anymore?