Buying at AT&T store - family plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wahoo10, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I'm on a family plan with my mom "owning" the plan. I'm planning to buy a 3GS to upgrade but remain on the family plan/same #. What info do I need at the store? Will she need to come? I'm a college student, so I'm paying for it entirely with my own money, but I'm wondering if she'll need to be there since it's her plan.

2. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

She either must be with you or add you to the account as someone totally authorized to make changes.

3. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Looks like we'll be having a date tonight :D rest of the family won't be around anyways, tonight could be a great dinner, great wine, and purchasing of the 3GS...what a night :p And, best of all, I'm not a whiner of how expensive the 32 giger is

4. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

You said it all

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean pre-ordering.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This is the most disturbing thing I've read today. :D

7. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. I figure since I'm slapping down a credit card and have no intentions of "undo-ing", it's a purchase, just won't see the phone for a week

P-NUTTS: hey, it's my mom, we have great girls' night outs, and both parents have taught me to appreciate good food/wine. And I'm finally legal :cool:

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not to break up your girls' night out but as indicated earlier in the thread, you mom can just add you an an authorized retail user online in about 2 minutes and then you can drop by the retail store to order anytime you are ready.

How can I add a retail authorized user to my account?

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

If you give most moms a choice they will take some time alone with their kid. I MY mother had the option of calling to put me on a plan or standing in line with me and going to dinner she would have been in the line.

I am actually using the line I put on my family plan for my mother. Sadly she died 10 months later and I still had her phone waiting to cancel it next month. The extra $7 I pay a month was cheaper than closing it then. THAT line is ready for the upgrade so I can go to the 3g s on that one and cancel my 3G with less penalty than the crazy price to upgrade an existing 3g.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL. Thanks for taking it in the intended spirit.

Anyway, if you are added to the account and your mom can't go with you I recommend trying to change something on the account *before* you go get the phone to make sure you are set up in AT&T's system correctly. I've seen more than one person who thought they were authorized get turned away without a phone. It was like being at the DMV.