Buying Audio Licenses.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BlakTornado, Nov 2, 2007.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Ok, so I feel this is a good place to ask since there are likely to be people here who actually KNOW this stuff as opposed to forums with a bunch of 13 year olds on it :p

Does anyone know how to buy the licenses for commercial music to use in commercial productions?

Of course, being Mac users here (Relating this thread to Macs :p), we could make our own music but sometimes there's that really catchy and appropriate tune you like and want to use in a video that your making, which you intend to make a profit from.

Lets say, for example, I REALLY love the song 'The Kids Aren't Alright' by 'The Offspring' and would like to use it in my indie film that I'm going to release on a DVD later this year. How would I buy the license to do such a thing? And is there a way to not have the record label take *% of my profit from the product? (This is an example. I'm not actually making a DVD... yet :p)

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Well, you're mistaken about one thing... there are 13yo's on every forum on this site.

As for licensing music, you need to contact the owner (label) directly. Google the company's phone number, start at the bottom and figure out the exact person to talk to.

The vast majority of the time, you won't give up a portion of your profits. I've actually never heard of this for a music license. You will, however, have to pay a LOT of money. The size of the film doesn't really matter. It's almost always a set price for anyone to use it.

3. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

True, but unlike others, there are some actually knowledgeable adults here who know what they're on about :p

Thanks for your help :D

I'll look into it :)

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yeah, I'm one of them...