Buying Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cheesyappleuser, Jan 18, 2013.

1. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Hi everyone,
    I'm leaning towards the Audio-Technica M-50 headphones. I used to have some AKG K-518 but the cable got damaged, therefore I will need a replacement.

They're quite "cheap" on Amazon.com ($121) and those appear to be one of the very best headphones one can buy. Not having iPhone controls isn't really an issue if the sound is outstanding.

Does anyone own some of these? Feedback highly appreciated :)

Best regards,
    Pedro.

2. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I bought a set of these for my son this Christmas to show him how much better these are than the beats all the kids rave about. I did a ton of research on headphones and my price range was up to $300. But the reviews were just to damn good for the m50's to pass up, they beat many higher end pricier headphones that were at the top of the price range I was looking at. I believe they are ranked 2nd or 3rd on head-fi as the best headphones to buy compared to all others including value?

My son loves them, I put them on for a few songs myself here and there and holy ****...:eek: you can say a lot of music sounds completely different than your used to hearing.

I may pick up a set for myself just for the occasional couple times a month I would use them!

I was going to get the anniversary edition but thr cord is like 9' long and not coiled. I just got the regular m50 with coiled cord.

Highly recommend!

3. cheesyappleuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

The coiled cord is less prone to get damage, isn't it?
    Also, thank you for another very positive review about these headphones :)

I've read the Beats have way too overbassing. I actually love classical guitar so those really sound like a no-go for purists lol

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Cord seems to holding up well, my son plays basketball with them on a lot and uses them a ton around the house.

The sound charastics are very true to what you should hear,, slightly elevated bass, but nice and tight sounding. Very good for all types of musical I would say, especially guitar stuff as I have played for 20yrs plus now myself. My son likes all types of music and it a sounds good to him.

5. Steevie macrumors regular

Will you be only using these for leisure use or djing at all?

6. cheesyappleuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I've read these were very good headphones, so they might be great for DJing as well.

Thanks for your insights Shockwave!

7. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I was looking at these but settled on the VModa M100 Crossfade. Way more portable friendly including the cable with mic for your phone too.

8. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I got the M50s but returned them. Id like to wear my headphones outside but these ones were too bulky. No doubt. But inside, sure.
    There is a great sound in them. Not for movies (maybe) but for music, hell yeah.

By the way. In case you are using a case (no pun intended) there will be problems because the connector is quite big and wont fit in Sector 5 for an example. But I bet there are converters of all kinds out there so .. ye. Just wanted you to know.

9. stryderlis macrumors newbie

Best headphones for 100 range, they usually are on sale for 110ish every once and awhile. The padding had to be replaced after 1 year because it got hard and cracked, I'm guess from all the sweat. I can tell you they sound a lot better than the beats. They might not look as pretty but perform way better.

10. katai macrumors regular

I just got the m50 and I love them. My first over the ear headphones besides gaming ones. Earphones with rubber plugs hurt my ears but earpods are ok when I'm out the house. I wanted something to use in public but don't think I'll be using it when taking public transportation because they are big on my head lol.

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I own these and they are fantastic. I got the coiled version. I don't like 10' of cable getting tangled up. I highly recommend these.

12. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Seriously I had them on before returning them - I looked like a clown wearing these outside. :D

13. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Wearing any large headphone around town makes you look like a clown.