Buying Base Model from Apple and Upgrading it via 3rd Parties

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erdembey, Jun 25, 2011.

1. erdembey macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Finally i decided to go with Apple MacBook Pro :)
    For my budget and performance requirements i decided to buy base configuration from apple.
    After that i will be upgrading that base configuration with OWC rams, ssd's or similiar solution.

Main problem is the stability of the 3rd party products.
    Because the main power of the apple products is the stability of the configuration and parts.

But i want to have more power, more space and more speed. So i will be adding 8 GB ram (as its limit of mbp?), at least 1 SSD with high capacity and so on.

Optibay and datadoubler issue is still a question for me ? Is it a stable solution ? Or should i wait for a MBP model which has no dvd bay :)

Also i will be buying high res anti-glare for better usage (1680x1050) which means a custom model from apple shop as it is not listed in the apple website ?

It would be great if anyone share ideas/experiences on these issues.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't make SSDs or RAM. They sell other manufacturers' products. You can upgrade those yourself and save. Be sure you really need 8GB of RAM, though, before spending the money. You may discover that you won't fully use 4GB.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

some mbp models can recognize up to 16gb ram, but it's ridiculously expensive for laptop modules. 8gb is cheap if 4gb doesn't do it for you, just try to catch a deal. as far as ssd, high capacity ssds are generally a waste of money i would argue. just get an ssd with enough storage to store the apps that will benefit from its speed (60-120gb or so) and use an external or optibay hdd to store media and the like.

4. erdembey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replies.

For the ram i found 8.0GB (2x4) owc 1333mhz from $94.99 ...
    As for SSD i am thinking on owc or intel 320 ...

I will be using Windows via parallels thats why i am considering 8 gb ram.
    My primary disk will be ssd for speed and stability.

5. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I think you ll be really happy with the customer service, warranty and products at OWC...that five year warranty on extreme pro won me over and ive been really happy with my ssd and Ram.

6. erdembey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your feedback sam ...
    I think i will be using OWC atleast for ram ... :)
    I will consider the ssd according to feedbacks and reports of macrumors users.

Btw. are there any 1680x1050 15" user over here ?
    I am considering 1680x1050 15" antiglare ...
    It would be great to hear feedbacks on this.

7. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

You can get brand name ram on newegg for 65.00 to save some cash

As far as ssd's go the intel, owc, and samsung 470 are great choices in terms of reliability. Many of the sata 3 drives have bad failure rates.